Help with NB sway bar upgrade

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
gfaraway

Help with NB sway bar upgrade

Post by gfaraway »

I am a new Miata owner. 2000SE, all stock. Maybe autocross in distant future, but for now just lively street driving and max zoom in the curves traveling with my local Miata club. Following club suggestion, alignment setup is max caster (around 6), -1.5 camber (front/back) and zero toe (front/back). May buy Koni sport shocks next year if finances work out. Don't plan on changing the springs.

Our club recommended that I install Racing Beat Tubular front sway bar and keep the stock rear sway bar. Before the alignment change, the car was sensitive to oversteer when trailing braking or trailing throttle when I found myself going too fast into curves. Still working on building experience on how the car handles since I don't like to take it easy.

I have read in the forums that no rear camber bias (usually 0.5-0.75 bias) will increase oversteer, but I am worried that the higher stiffness of the tubular front SB will result in too much understeer. Advise about the sway bar upgrade would be greatly appreciated.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Help with NB sway bar upgrade

Post by Brian »

You can go about it both ways, changing the camber bias....or changing the sway. You can start with front sway and add more rear sway too as needed if you get more understeer than you want, and adding the sways has the added benefit of making the car much more flat in the corners.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
BrandonW963

Re: Help with NB sway bar upgrade

Post by BrandonW963 »

Hello, I thought I'd throw a reply in.
Even though I have a NA, I think the overall effect would be similar enough to make this comment valid.
I also bought the racing beat sways because the body roll was a bit too much for the type of car it is and it was one of the best upgrades I did for the car. Made a night and day change, the car felt so much better in the corners, out where I live it's all country roads with loads of curves and now I am always enjoying the drive lots because I did this upgrade. Made the car run a lot tighter through the bends.