RX8 diff into NC MX5

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
MikeG612

RX8 diff into NC MX5

Post by MikeG612 »

Hi, Can any of you chaps tell me if a complete RX8 diff housing fits, without modification, into a NC MX5. I've bought one for my Stage Rally car here in the UK because it has a lower final drive and wanted to know for sure it was going to fit before I bought a LSD for it.

Cheers

Mike
Brian
Site Admin

Re: RX8 diff into NC MX5

Post by Brian »

Can be done BUT takes a fair bit of work....

I recall old thread here wherein I posted the pics, could be found with some searching, or search it at Miata.net forum...but it is NOT plug and play, the RX8 unit is bigger.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
MikeG612

Post by MikeG612 »

Thanks for the reply Brian.

I found the thread you mentioned.

Is there a lower final drive in the NC range, or out of any other car that i could use that would be a direct fit? I'm looking for around 4.4:1.

Or any after market ones?

Cheers

Mike
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The only alternatives that I know of are the taller factory alternatives used in Europe, which you can likely still order from Mazda. I have also seen folks from Europe selling theirs in the forum at Miata.net and swapping them with US customers.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Dubcity

Post by Dubcity »

Hey Mike,i'm also looking for a 4.4 final drive but can't seem to get anything on it.
I called Mazdaspeed racing dept and the guy confirmed that one does exist.
He gave me this part# M054-27-110A.I just want to confirm with other guys if it truely is a direct swap with no mods...
Dubcity

Post by Dubcity »

Quaife says they could manufacture the 4.4 final drive,not sure if there is enough interest here for it or probably Mr Goodwin could look into carrying them.This is an email from Quaife.

"The Tran-X range is based around Ford running gear, and is not a range we intend to broaden.

There are no Quaife branded crown wheel & pinion kits available, and neither is there a plan to introduce a range.

We do take on custom work though, so it is possible for us to manufacture what you are asking for, but it would need to be a minimum batch order of 50 units for us to consider the job.

If you have any further questions or I can be of any assistance in the future please don't hesitate to contact me."

Kind regards

Ben Ashton

Technical Sales

[/color][/color][/color]
colt45

Post by colt45 »

If you are looking at a custom cut crown and pinion, you may as well look at one of the Ford 8.8" IRS conversions. Plenty of ratios available, too.

Such as:
http://www.v8roadsters.com/drive-line-components-2/
Chatanooga
'06 Sport 6MT Ohlins 70N/50N
IBA/COG
eflove

Post by eflove »

I have a rx-8 diff in my car. Mine came with (as most do) a 4.44 R&P. This was a little short for me with the 7000k redline it would top out around 135. I sourced a 4.10 from the FD rx-7 (uses the same R&P) and now have a more useable 155 top speed. with the mazdaspeed, rx-8,and rx-7 you have a wide range of ring and pinions to choose from.
ronbauer

Post by ronbauer »

I had a 4.44 installed in my NC case by PuddyMod Racing. Shoot Ben an email there. He knows his stuff and built me a great diff for my DP MX5. He can be reached at PuddyModRacing@tampabay.rr.com.

He has tons of options available for gearing, can do cryo-treating, and can even rebuild/service OS Giken LSDs.

Anyway, tell him I sent you. Great guy, great turn-around times, and great service.

Ron