Flywheel dd

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
nova99sport

Flywheel dd

Post by nova99sport »

I'm working on a 99 for a daily driver right now and was thinking about a lightweight flywheel when I replace the clutch but I see a lot of posts on the forums about people saying its not worth it for the street or only made shifting a little easier. I guess my question is for a naturally aspirated dd would the $600 happy meal kit be worth it or would i be better off with just the exedy replacement kit and throwing that money elsewhere for a better street car?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Flywheel dd

Post by Brian »

It will make it more sporty/responsive off the line...but be careful about going too light. I would not suggest our choices under 10 pounds for daily drivers, those are better in the dedicated race cars. I daily drive with just 6 pound flywheel but I have been driving light flywheels for so long that it feels natural to me, but to somebody not racing the choices under 10 pounds usually result in some stalls and annoyance in stop and go traffic. Thus, my answer is that most daily drivers find the lighter flywheel adds some sporty flavor...as long as they don't go too light. I suggest one of our 12 or 13 pound choices for daily driver that doesn't race because it is more fun than stock...but not TOO LIGHT.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
nova99sport

Post by nova99sport »

That is what I had in mind was the happy meal exedy kit. My concern was the more I read into it the more conflicting information I would find so it was time to come here where I knew it would be easier to get a straight answer. I thought the semi light flywheels like these would be great because it would feel like more torque and have a little more of my engine hp actually getting to the wheels. What concerned me was hearing guys talking about losing tq and that's the opposite of what I'm after. If it really does put more power that is already there to the ground and make for a snappier car that's all I'm after here, no super optomistic gains I just have to stay tight with my money on this car and 100 for a stock replacement vs 600 I want to be sure it's gonna give me a faster even more fun car and not just a slower louder car. It seems like from what you say with your experience it's just what I hoped it would do.
nova99sport

Post by nova99sport »

There is too much conflicting info out there online with some of these things. Thanks Brian for running a great responsive forum that the customers here can trust.