great wheel/tire size post on m.net

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Chuck H

great wheel/tire size post on m.net

Post by Chuck H »

Brian, thanks for the great posts in this thread over on m.net. :D

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=568593

It's good for folks to hear that more isn't always better when it comes to wheels/tires for a daily driver, and that getting 80% of the performance out of more modest tires may be more fun than getting 25% of the performance out of race rubber!

I was really on the fence on how wide I wanted to go on my 2012 when I finally get some better summer wheels/tires, and it sounds like 17x7.5 or 17x8 with 215/45-17 should fit the bill perfectly!
2019 Arctic White RF GT-S
SmartTop, coilovers
Brian
Site Admin

Re: great wheel/tire size post on m.net

Post by Brian »

Thanks Chuck, glad you liked that.

I liked your post on the header sizing, where you made the excellent point that endlessly bigger is not a great idea for the 2.0 customers drooling on the new headers intended and tested on 2.5 applications. And speaking of 2.5 application headers, got another version we are playing with that I think you might like, hope to reveal before the month is over.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
roadster_nh

Post by roadster_nh »

Chuck -- I know what you mean, and I saw that post as well. I really want to go 17x9 with 245 for the autocross course, but I just love the street performance my 17x8 RPF1's with 225 Rivals (215's would be even better).

Looks like I'll have two sets in the near future. It's like a snow ball.
2003 LS FFS
Chuck H

Post by Chuck H »

Brian wrote:Thanks Chuck, glad you liked that.

I liked your post on the header sizing, where you made the excellent point that endlessly bigger is not a great idea for the 2.0 customers drooling on the new headers intended and tested on 2.5 applications. And speaking of 2.5 application headers, got another version we are playing with that I think you might like, hope to reveal before the month is over.
I'm really excited about all the 2.5L development going on these days. An engine swap probably isn't in the cards for me for at least a couple of years, but I think it's going to become a much more popular option over the next few years, and you guys should have the magic recipe pretty well optimized by the time I'm ready. Once you guys start adding cams to the mix, I suspect those 2.5L motors are really going to wake up and make some serious power!
2019 Arctic White RF GT-S
SmartTop, coilovers