Progress spring and sways and gwr exhaust questions

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
jassi

Progress spring and sways and gwr exhaust questions

Post by jassi »

Hey Brian/All - I live in Australia and own a 2011 nc special edition which has a bilstein tuned suspension as mentioned here http://www.caradvice.com.au/103344/2011 ... australia/
Unsure what bilstein tuned means, but i guess it means i have some oem bilstein shocks, dunno how to identify the same though :roll:

I think my car is very similar to Brian's 2012 street project car and so I was looking at following the mods done to the same.
I've just got the super-q from Chris at mx5parts and its really good - I chose to remove the silencing baffles and the muffler has a decent growl (10% more than stock) when accelerating and yet no drone at cruising speed (2700rpm). Overall quite pleased with the minor (perhaps perceived :D ) grunt it adds
I'm not looking at headers yet as they are not street legal here in Melbourne, but will the gwr mid pipe when added to my stock header and super-q combo improve things on my car (performance gains? or just a better note?)

Also I keep travelling to San Jose every few months and so was wondering if anyone here can comment on the dimensions and weight of progress rear/front sway combo package as well as progress springs to see if I can carry it back with me on the long flight back to Australia. Also is it recommended to get the end links to go with sways or are stock end links good enough?

Lastly if I get the progress springs, do I need anything else like bump stops, etc. to go with them or are the stock ones ok? Note I'm on stock 17x7 rims running the 205/45 tires for now, but may go up to 215/45 on either stock rims or 17x8(or 7.5).

Thanks for the guidance, hope I can carry some stuff back from US and looking forward to building my mx5 similar Brian's 2012 mx5 :mrgreen: !
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Progress spring and sways and gwr exhaust questions

Post by Brian »

The springs would be easy to re-pack in your luggage....but the sways box is about 5 feet long, figure you might get a charge for oversize luggage (similar to taking Skis or Snowboard on a trip).

My wife's car uses those springs on stock stops, but if your mileage is over 20k then perhaps those are ready to be replaced too, they eventually get beat to pieces. Stock endlinks okay for street use, upgrade them if track or autocross use is planned.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jassi

Post by jassi »

Thanks Brian! Springs are on my shopping list for next US trip in May then :)
Sway bar box (is that front n rear combo) at 5 feet seems like a big item - any idea on how heavy they are? Maybe if I pulled them out of the box, the dimensions are smaller? Are the whitelines similar in performance to progress sways?
On the bump stops, I'm at 50k kms (so more than 20k miles), which bump stops do you recommend, given my shocks are stock and springs will be progress?
Will stick to stock end-links when I go for sways, as mine is a daily driver with a rare once in a year track day.
Also any thoughts on the gwr mid pipe + super-q + stock headers combo, have you seen that a lot, does it sound or perform better, will I have to put the baffles back in :P since the mid-pipe is available locally from mx5parts, I'm contemplating buying when the next shipment arrives :D
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The midpipe helps a bit on torque, but the BIG gains are with the header change.

Sways not heavy, just long. Perhaps 15 pounds with the bushings and brackets. The Whiteline are smaller bars, not as much rate, but still much better than stock.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jassi

Post by jassi »

Thanks Brian! And for the bump stops needed for stock shocks and progress springs? I see quite a few bump stops in your shocks section? Which ones should I get? FCM 36/58 sport or FCM 58/76 comfort or FCM 58/58 sport Or something else? I'm guessing they need to be matched to my application and will need to be changed if I change shocks, etc.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

See the long bumpstop discussions at Miata.net forum for starters. The progress with stock shocks can be used with the longer FCM....or the shorter, depends on what you want to emphasize.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jassi

Post by jassi »

^^ yes was just reading those discussions over last few hours :) fcm 36/58 for lowered mx5s, seems like a popular option, but will keep educating myself a bit more to understand whats best (especially given my mx5 is a daily driver and its just mostly me at 155lbs in it!)
jassi

Post by jassi »

So after a lot of reading around - I'm still confused about bumpstops. As per the Fcm application guide Http://fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM_app_gu ... #Bumpstops the 36/58mm are needed only if lowering beyond 0.5", however the progress springs on oem bilsteins won't go beyond 0.5". There are discussions on m.net for Koni+progress+Fcm 36/58 but nothing on just the progress springs. Also the Fcm application guide has no recommendation of 58/76 combo so I'm guessing that's just oem replacement. Which leaves me with 58/58 recommendation for non lowered comfort. So is that the way to go? :roll:
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

What the website actually says for those Progress springs is "initially lowered the project about half an inch"...and then it goes on to explain that further settling resulted in total lowering beyond that amount, more like 3/4 inch. But that's static height and I expect you want to drive the car and in driving the car you will be using the stops quick on full length stops. Whether that is bad or good, depends on what you are more concerned with performance...or comfort.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jassi

Post by jassi »

So full length would give me more comfort as I would be riding them more often whereas for performance I would need the 36/58 lowered in which case I guess I'm after performance. I think I may have I answered myself? :P

Brian - given my daily driver status and having done 32000 miles, do you think my oem bilsteins have significant lifespan left to handle some time with progress springs or should I actively be making space in my check in baggage for some Koni shocks along with the progress springs? I keep reading from a cost point of view it's good to get it all done once but I quite like the idea of going one by one to get an experience of each suspension mod by itself :roll:

Also I'm reconsidering the header now. The rules here in Melbourne essentially say headers are legal as long as the cat con and O2 sensor positions don't change. So I'm thinking your ceramic street header maybe a good solution for me. How significant is the difference in performance compared to the ceramic max power?

Also since I have a few US trips this year considering if I can carry the header back :D Is it fair to assume the headers are around 15 pounds and around 1.5 feet x 1.5 feet in dimensions? Otherwise you do mention on the max power header description that you ship to Australia for 90$ but I'm guessing that's not the case anymore as you have mx5parts here?