NC PRHT wheel tire recommendation

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
RichardR099

Re: NC PRHT wheel tire recommendation

Post by RichardR099 »

not to sabotage this thread, I have a copper red, 2012 model (PRHT) that look like the same wheels as those. Live in new jersey, and there are so many potholes in this area, my wheels are getting banged up (low profile), is there a size you can recommend that will absorb the potholes better? I had one rim repair already and I'm going to be tired of doing this as its costly. May want to go to a larger size sidewall.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

You have 17 or 18 inch? There are at least 3 different wheels above so not clear what wheel you are talking about.

Perhaps email me a picture of what you have.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
RichardR099

Post by RichardR099 »

actually i just got my picture uploaded to your site, i think they're 17's but have to check (car is offsite currently due to the harsh winter in jersey).
Castro

Post by Castro »

Fast forward 3 months and I'm hooked on Autocross and because the konis's, progress springs, front and rear sways, full GWR exhaust, intake, tune and 7.5" rims I'm on STR class.

I'm currently running PSS tires and I feel I'm running them to their max capabilities.

Next in the upgrade list are 9 inch wheels with a bigger 200 TW tire (RE71R or Rival S) and ohlins coilovers.

I've told wheel and tires will give me the biggest benefit right now with my setup and then the coilovers.

Going with 17x9 RPF1's... Definetely rolling fenders. What is the tire model/size of choice for STR these days? 245 or 255? I'm in hot Georgia weather if that affects tire choice.

I'll keep my 7.5" for DD duties.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

That question on tire size will depend on a few variables including how fast local courses tend to be near you, and how much fender rolling you have done or want to do. The 245mm is much easier fit than 255mm....but the 255mm is just taller enough that on some fast sections it might save you one shift up to third gear, etc.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Castro

Post by Castro »

To date with 215/45's and the rev limiter raised to 7800 rpm I haven't had to shift to 3rd yet on the local courses. 245 is a tiny bit taller... If there is no considerable grip to be gained then 245 I think is the answer in my case.