Clutch for Cosworth SC

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
jboemler

Clutch for Cosworth SC

Post by jboemler »

My (stock) clutch is slipping after about 5000 miles with a fairly-ordinary Cosworth installation (low-compression Cosworth pistons and a 3.1 pulley). Haven't dyno'd the car, but you get the idea. Need to order a new clutch ASAP, asking what the best combination would be. I don't feel the need for a lighter flywheel, don't race the car, but also don't want to be replacing the clutch again any time soon. Pedal pressure isn't a huge deal for me (I actually think the stock clutch is overly soft), but of course I don't want it to feel like a truck either.

I'm looking at the ACT heavy-duty and Xtreme pressure plates, presumably with a 6-puck sprung disk. Is the HD plate enough to dependably hold this car, or should I go for extra insurance with the Xtreme? Is there another combo I should be looking at? I hear GWR is coming out with a new Exedy combo -- should I wait? If so how long, and for how much benefit?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Clutch for Cosworth SC

Post by Brian »

ACT stage 1 will do it unless you are doing lots of high rpm abusive clutch drops...and even then it would take that abuse for a few years. About half our Cosworth customers are using ACT Stage 1...and about half are using our Carbon/Carbon combos. Very few customers with that kit using the ACT extreme or multi-puck.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

Thanks Brian -- I love it when a vendor points me to the cheaper alternative! :D
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

BTW, is the pressure plate in the Stage 1 package the same as the HD, or a lower clamping force?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The Stage 1 ACT is the HD.

Yes, the ACT Extreme has a stiffer pressure plate.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com