2002 Brake Size ABS

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Randale

2002 Brake Size ABS

Post by Randale »

I just purchased a 2002 miata.

It has ABS brakes but does not have the sport suspension as far as I can tell.

What size brake rotors should I order?

Thanks,

Randale
Brian
Site Admin

Re: 2002 Brake Size ABS

Post by Brian »

At this point there are used 2002 Miatas that had sports suspension when new...and do not today.

Thus, you need to measure the rotor. Grab a ruler, lay on the ground and hold ruler up by the rear rotors and squint and does it look about 11 inches? If so, Sport. If a full inch smaller, NOT sport. If you can't eye-ball it then jack up the car and pull a wheel to get accurate measurement.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Randale

Post by Randale »

So, it is either sport or non-sport as long as it is stock Miata? (Meaning that there were no other factory options?)

Does that say anything about the rest of the suspension?

(The shocks are blackish, not yellow...)

Randale
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

SPORT package had special Bilsteins and 12mm rear bar. Back in the day the cars were fresh it was real easy to look under the car and see the new bright YELLOW Bilsteins and know it was a Sport package. At this point all the original Bilsteins are long worn out and replaced, often with a different brand of shock (and cars that came with the black Showa brand shocks sometimes have replacement aftermarket Yellow Bilsteins, etc). Also, for autocross and track purposes some customers who had SPORT brakes moved down to standard brakes to save weight, and customers with standard brakes often moved up to SPORT brakes. Thus, whether a used 2002 was originally a SPORT package is often meaningless now that the cars are 13 years old.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com