Ohlins vs TEIN

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
CursedSIC

Ohlins vs TEIN

Post by CursedSIC »

I'm at the great debate.
Obviously, matched head to head Ohlins wins every time.
However, I was hoping to spend less than $2k on the suspension setup.
If I am going to spend more, I need to be assured that it is worth breaking this portion of my budget.
I will also need a few questions answered.

First, will I need thicker sway bars to keep up with the new coilovers? They will eventually see track use, and will likely see thicker sways regardless, but for spirited driving, will they be necessary, or will lack of big sways cut so deeply into performance, it's not worth buying them without a sway bar upgrade?
Second, if I do not need sways right off the bat, will I still need new sway end links, due to the car being lowered?
Third, are Ohlins truly just THE BEST, NO QUESTIONS ASKED, Coilovers for a DD, AutoX, and light track car?
I don't need them to just be BETTER than TEIN. I need them to blow TEIN out of the water so bad that its almost worth not even looking at TEIN if the Ohlins can be afforded.
Are they just that good?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Ohlins vs TEIN

Post by Brian »

Having coilovers does not mean you need to update sways. Most getting coilovers will upgrades the sways but many get enough performance gains from the coilovers and skip the sways.....it all depends on how fast you want to go. For that reason I usually say start with the coilovers and come back for the sways if you want even more performance.

Yes, the Ohlins are better than the TEIN, and I think easily the best for Coilovers for a DD, AutoX, and light track car. But it is all a matter of degrees and certainly the TEIN do a fine job and I have driven/raced customer cars with the TEIN setup that are very fast. The Ohlins do the job better, but the Tein can certainly get the job done too.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
CursedSIC

Post by CursedSIC »

So, since I would not need new sways with the Ohlins, would I still need end links.
The car ride height would be about ~1-2 in lower.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

It depends on how optimal you want it. For a mostly street driven car not that important with stock sways and lowered 1 to 2 inches and I would skip it for now. Once we add bigger sways and are racing the car lowered 2 inches and more we like to fix geometry with slightly shorter sway endlinks that are also stronger (our Whiteline links are my top choice).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Chuck H

Post by Chuck H »

Might also be worth noting that the F/R spring rate spread is quite different between the Ohlins (7k/4k) and the Teins (6k/5k). Most of the full swaybar sets work well with the Ohlins spread, but may be too rear-biased with the Tein spread. Many Tein users opt to only upgrade the front swaybar, since the higher rate rear springs don't need as much swaybar to neutralize the handling.
2019 Arctic White RF GT-S
SmartTop, coilovers
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Chuck brings up a great point, if you go with any coilover with tight spread in the spring rates like the TEIN 6/5 then you will indeed likely want ONLY an upgraded FRONT sway and you will want it right away because otherwise you will likely find too much oversteer with stock sways.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JOKER

Post by JOKER »

First of all, my Miata is the same as Brian's wife's Project Car - 2012 PRHT, with the exception of an automatic tranny. Have already upgraded to Progressive Sways - Front and Rear. Just replacing the stock sways, was an incredible upgrade for handling. I mainly drive a lot of twisties on the back roads, along with my other buddies from the WVMC Miata club, here in Oregon...really have no desire to autocross. I do want as much handling performance as possible for the recreational type of driving I do.
Since I am green to suspension basics...what would be the best recommendation from those of you who drive as I do ... springs, or coilovers? Would there be a definite notable difference coilovers vs. springs?
Just a note: Have also upgraded to:
RoadsterSport All Stainless Steel MX5 COMPLETE STREET EXHAUST COMBO...with CERAMIC Upgrade

WOW - Can hardly believe the difference in power and torque...Thanks Brian!!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

It depends on how fast you want it.

Yes, coilovers are several levels more serious for handling than the spring upgrades but that comes with much stiffer ride too and the coilovers are likely overkill for the driving you are doing....but if you want BEST handling then no doubt the coilovers are the choice!

Yet for the type of enthusiast fun driving you do my temptation is to suggest the Progress springs paired with the Progress sways you already have. That Progress with Progress combo in my wife's PRHT is a blast to drive without beating you up, I think it is really about perfect for the real world that includes potholes in a car that is not going to be raced.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JamesK383

Post by JamesK383 »

Check out theses tips for improving handing: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/dialed-in/

I personally went with a konis progress set up for two reasons
1) cost
2) I'm not interested in fine tuning all the different aspects of a coil over. Tuning the konis is enough for me.

I also put on piolot SS and had the alignment performance tuned as well. Handling was drastically improved.

With set up I'm sticking really well in the canyons.

Hope this feed back doesn't complicate things worse for you
JOKER

Post by JOKER »

:D WOW - Took Brian's advice for the Progress springs, to replace the soggy factory springs on my 2012 PRHT. The combination of the Progress springs and the Progress sways, was a perfect match...flattened out the ride considerably (no noticeable body roll), and lowered about 3/4" front and back. Also added Whiteline End Links to replace factory end links. Taking mountain curves at 50+mph is a piece of cake! Easy upgrade, without spending a ton of money! Thanks Brian!