Coilover Question

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
MatthewS989

Coilover Question

Post by MatthewS989 »

Hello GWR forum,

My name is Matthew and I have installed on my 2010 MX-5 the Ohlins Road and Track coilovers. I have lowered my car quite a bit and tightened it up quite a lot with this suspension setup. But I do wish to set my own caster camber with the low center of gravity. I was wondering if any of y'all had any idea of where I could get caster camber top hats for the NC Miatas?

Thank you and have a wonderful day!
ronbauer

Re: Coilover Question

Post by ronbauer »

Since it's not a strut suspension, camber/caster plates don't do anything. All of the adjustments are with the cams on the lower control arm up front.

Ron
MatthewS989

Post by MatthewS989 »

Sorry it took so long for me to respond. Takes me a while to look back as to what I posted, being in the Navy and what not. Lol. Anyway, so I will do all of my adjustments with the lower control arm. Are there any photos or videos I could see to fully understand how this would be accomplished? This is the first vehicle I've ever owned where I've started to modify myself, so I'm not 100% sure of how I'm doing most of things I'm doing, I'm kind of just going with it. I know that sounds really bad...

Matthew
morrisg

Post by morrisg »

Since this sounds like a one time adjustment for you, I'd recommend just taking your alignment specs to a shop and having them set it once and then you can just enjoy the car. The specs I use are: front max caster and max camber but balanced left to right (e.g. left = -1.5 and right = -1.3, then set both to -1.3); rear max camber and balanced left and right; front toe 0, rear toe 1/16 inch toe in. This should put you in the ballpark of good setup for handling. Of course, all this should happen AFTER you have set your final ride height with the Ohlins and finished any corner balancing you're going to do.

If you were going to do autox alignments, then I'd point you to the STR thread at miata.net.