PPE Longtube issue

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
brandontrek

PPE Longtube issue

Post by brandontrek »

Checking here to see if Brian or anyone else has run into this issue before. I did my 2.5 swap and installed the PPE 1.75 longtube headers on stock motor mounts with IL inserts. The problem is putting on the forward most underbody brace. The header sits about 1/2 inch lower than the bottom side of the brace, obviously way too far down to bolt it in.
Chuck H

Re: PPE Longtube issue

Post by Chuck H »

I think that the 1.75" PPE header is a FM/Dynotronics exclusive part, so you may not get great answers on here.

When I installed my 1.63" PPE header, I had plenty of clearance for the braces. But I also left all of the nuts connecting the header flange to the head loose when I installed it, then put a jack under the collector of the header and gently lifted it to its highest position before I tightened everything up. It made the whole header and midpipe tuck up nicely in the exhaust tunnel.

It might be worth going back and loosening the flange nuts and see if you can get the collector to sit a little higher by lifting it and then re-tightening the nuts. Just a few degrees of tilt on that flange can move the collector up or down by a couple of inches.
2019 Arctic White RF GT-S
SmartTop, coilovers
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yep, the FM/Dynotronics guys asked for 1.63 and found we had the lock on that size so they went 1.75.

But we do have 1.8 prototype. Have not had it on enough cars to comment on fit with all braces.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
brandontrek

Post by brandontrek »

Chuck H wrote:
It might be worth going back and loosening the flange nuts and see if you can get the collector to sit a little higher by lifting it and then re-tightening the nuts. Just a few degrees of tilt on that flange can move the collector up or down by a couple of inches.

Good call, this will be the first thing I try. When it was mounted it was hanging by its self, so all of the weight was low.

Brian- Thank you for the quick reply, can you comment on the clearance of the goodwin bracket set vs stock?

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... -1509.html
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Sorry, you won't gain clearance with those braces compared to stock. You might add a few washers and longer bolts and slightly lower your stock braces away from the contact point.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com