ND STR Build

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
HAZMAT

ND STR Build

Post by HAZMAT »

I'll be prepping for the 2016 Solo 2 season with a March purchase of a Soul Red Club 6 Spd.

I'm trading in my FR-S. Hate the motor!

STR or C stock...HMMMM....probably STR...

STR Build will include:
Full exhaust & E manifold, tune, & intake (if worthwhile)

Ohlins or Triple Adj XIDA's with 600/350 spgs
Progress Sways F/R + links
17x9" GUL's with 245/40/17 Bridgestone RE71R's
SCCA Legal Roll Bar (I teach HPDE's for all car clubs in Northeast))
Carbotech pads...

My questions are as follows...

How much Neg camber can I get out of the front end?
My previous 2 track/Solo 2 cars both liked between 3-4 degrees negative.
I don't care about tire wear LOL....

Is there a camber plate kit that I could add to the Coilovers?

Which Carbotech pad combo would you recommend for a ~2500 lb car on RE71R's? 10's and 8's?

I run 12/12 on my 3300 lb EVO X MR with 500WHP. To much bite for street tires...

Any other thoughts. ideas?

Thanks in advance
HAZMAT
Brian
Site Admin

Re: ND STR Build

Post by Brian »

As with all prior Miata, tons of camber available as soon as you lower it, no need for camber plates.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Ryan @ GWR

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

We don't sell Carbotech pads but if you're familiar with and happy with that brand I would recommend AX6 or XP8 for autocross use. I would only jump up to XP8 if you need more temperature ceiling, best to start with AX6 and see how that goes first - I don't expect you'll exceed the AX6's temperature range in autocross with those tires. The ND has good brake balance as-is, so don't stagger pad compounds like is often done with the earlier generations. Go with the same pad compound on all four corners.
HAZMAT

Post by HAZMAT »

THX for the input...

How much front Neg camber is available if I run Coilovers, and lower the car properly?

Will the OEM adjustment along with lowering it allow me to dial in at least 3.5 degrees up front or more?

Camber plates allow me to move between a street camber setup and a track/auto x aggressive setup.

As for the Carbotech advise that sounds spot on..

THX guys

HAZMAT
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Camber plates is FRS thinking, those numbers you want is more FRS thinking. Remember that scene from Matrix where he says "NEAL, FREE YOUR MIND!" :P The Miata is not an FRS, you need to free your mind of FRS thinking or you will get the setup for Miata all wrong...no front strut suspension here so none of that FRS setup or thinking is relevant here.

Miata has far superior proper front double A arms with massive range of adjustment once the car is lowered. Nobody uses camber plates on the Miata because they are not needed, easily over 3 negative camber with moderate lowering and ultimate amount depends on how low you go. Your perceived need for 3.5 negative camber ignores the fact that camber curve is MUCH more aggressive on this car front and rear so you don't want or need FRS strut front suspension numbers anyway, again, got to free yourself of FRS thinking or you will be going the wrong way on setup. I can run any camber I want on my race Miatas and I don't run that much, don't need that much, tire temp probes tell me that we would not want that much. Look around, spend time in autocross section of miata.net, and you will see nobody using or talking about camber plates on Miata.

I am not a fan of Carbotech. We did carry them, we discontinued them. Far too sensitive to break-in, lots of other choices that don't fail when you don't follow break in procedure to the letter.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
HAZMAT

Post by HAZMAT »

THX Brian,

Pads are such an individual choice...
I'm a LFB and pad sensitivity is important, especially near threshold braking.
For that the Carbotechs are outstanding..

I've run over 15 different pads on my E36M3, EVO X MR and FRS...
As for camber now it makes sense...THX for the post.
Sounds like 1.6-1.8 Rear and 2.3-2.5 front is closer...
morrisg

Post by morrisg »

You're going to need a better LSD than the Mazda unit. I really like the OS Giken I bought for my NC STR prep. Wonderfully tuned right out of the box, very progressive lockup and very nice unlocking for corner entry without understeer. Spendy, but worth it in my book.
HAZMAT

Post by HAZMAT »

That's great advise on the LSD...

As soon as I have the 1st wave of parts on the car there will lots of driving and tuning to do../
Then I can ponder a LSD swap...Is your a 1.5 or 2.0?

Cheers,
HAZMAT
morrisg

Post by morrisg »

My present car is a 2009 Miata Touring prepped for STR class competition. So it's a 2.0L MZR engine with a Moto East tune, about 195 hp with the PPE Long Tube header, mid-pipe, Goodwin Race Single and CAI. This is where I discovered just how good the OS Giken LSD is. All that power does no good if you can't put it to the pavement.

I'm waiting to see pricing on the Fiat 124 to make my choice between it and a Mazda ND MX-5. If they are close to the same, I'll be purchasing a Classico and building it to STR rules. That turbo just has too much low end grunt advantage plus big power from a tune may be possible if someone learns how to crack the ECU. Maybe so much power that the Fiat 124 may not be classed in STR… but that's another thread.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Hmm, the ND is so quick in competition, the MIDRANGE with the skyactiv motor is already so good, I don't expect the FIAT to be faster for autocross. Our local customer Jeff Cawthorne already hitting top of PAX in stock class with regularity and we don't even have adjustable Koni on it yet. I too may get a FIAT but I don't expect it will be as fast as the ND in autocross. Weight remains the enemy.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com