ND STR Build

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
morrisg

Re: ND STR Build

Post by morrisg »

Jeff is an awesome driver, I'm not surprised he is near the top of PAX in anything he drives!

I took a 2008 torque curve from a 1.4L Turbo with a 184 lb-ft peak and put it into a spreadsheet, multiplied by the transmission and diff gearing. Compared this to the ND stock torque curve from a dyno scaled up 7% to make the peak torque number match the engine torque spec, multiplied by the ND transmission and diff gearing. Not a perfect comparison but as close as I'm going to get until we can see dynos of the actual Fiat 124.

See the attached plot of the difference in rear axle torque over the rpm band. The Fiat 124 first gear advantage is ridiculous, 750 lb-ft gradually reducing to even at 6000 rpm. Second and third gears are still significantly in the Fiat's favor, 300 lb-ft reducing to a 100 lb-ft deficit above 5500 rpm. With only 100 lbs additional weight in the Fiat, this becomes a smaller advantage but it isn't a push. And there's some question about what the weight of the Fiat 124 Classico is going to be, as it is listed as 1050 kg (2310 lbs) for a Euro spec manual transmission model on a spec sheet I have found.
124 ND Gear Delta.jpg
Sorry for the thread jack, I'll be quiet now.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: ND STR Build

Post by Brian »

Reminds me of what was said when the MazdaSpeed Miata was announced, it was only X heavier and it made X more torque. As an autocross car you don't generally see it, proved not fast. Be happy to be incorrect, but I see history repeating here.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com