Replacement springs for JIC suspension

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
jboemler

Replacement springs for JIC suspension

Post by jboemler »

I've got an early JIC setup on my 2006, and my understanding is that the rates are 6.5/5. I'm looking for a compatible rear spring in the 4 to 4.5 kg range, so I can tame the oversteer and reduce my rear camber (currently over 2 degrees and losing grip). Can you set me up, Brian?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Replacement springs for JIC suspension

Post by Brian »

Have not laid eyes on a JIC setup in 7 years...and their spring spec changed over time.

So, you would need to look at the spring specs and tell us what you need...and we could get SWIFT springs.

My guess is 65mm front and 70mm rear....but check that and lengths.

And if never revalved they would need revalve to handle stiffer rates.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

Thanks Brian, but I'm looking for weaker rear springs only, so I wouldn't expect a shock rebuild necessary. As for spring diameter, where am I measuring? Thru the wire center? Near top, or bottom (these are tapered springs)?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

My recollection from my RX8 set of JIC that went into my first NC is that the springs were indeed tapered rear like Ohlins, and my recollection is 70mm rear at the bottom. You measure inside diameter at the bottom and top of that tapered spring. And that reminds me that Ohlins standard spring in NC rear coilovers is 4k and tapered and 70mm bottom and we have them on shelf. Once you check those specs, likely these will fit (link here).

I expect front is 65mm and not tapered, easy to replace with anything you like.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

I think I recall you saying years ago that the Ohlins springs would fit, and at one time you had some take-offs for sale, but I missed the window on those. Measurements look close (as close as I can get without tearing the current setup apart), so I'll try those. Thanks...
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

If you are interested in the Ohlins rear springs, I have a brand new set that I picked up from Brian. Never used them and no longer have a need for them.
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

Thanks halfpint, but too late -- the Ohlins springs went in yesterday. The springs fit fine, and allowed me to dial back the camber and toe in the rear, which turned out to be a great improvement in grip, ride, and turn-in (combined with changed shock settings). I should have done this years ago.