Help me spend

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
beardedstealth

Help me spend

Post by beardedstealth »

Good day fellow enthusiast. I own a ND Miata Club-spec with NO BBS and NO Brembro and I would like your opinions.

I have already installed the Progress sway bars front and rear based on Brian's recommendation and absolutely love the handling improvements. I also installed the RoadsterSport RACE exhaust, which I wish was actually a little louder. After finishing both those jobs I am now chomping at the bit to do another round of upgrades, but I can't decide where to start, which is where you come in.

First a touch of background... I only drive on the street, but I still have a desire to make the car as light and fast as is reasonable without truly sacrificing its ability to daily drive. For whatever reason, the idea of losing weight on the car is very sexy to me, especially unsprung weight. Obviously I would love more power as well. And finally, handling is probably the most important out of everything. And just an example of how far I am willing to go on a "streetable" car is that I would have no problem with stiffer suspension giving me a harsher ride, but I wouldn't be okay if the car couldn't get over the speed bumps in my area.

Now, here is what I want to do to the car. Again, opinions on what to do first are greatly appreciated as well as feedback on whether an item is really worth the time or money and then finally there are some items in which I am stuck between a couple options and any input would help.

1) 17x9 wheels. Love the weight of the 6UL and love the price of the Konig.

2) Coilovers. Obviously the Ohlins look amazing, but not sure if that is overkill for the street?

3) Blackbird Fabworx ND RZ Roll Bar. Again, not sure if too much for street?

4) 4 Piston caliper upgrade. I read that Brian enjoys the pedal feel better on the 6 piston, but the reduced weight on the 4 piston is attractive.

5) GWR Superlight 2-piece rotors front and rear.

6) Header/Exhaust: this is where I am having the biggest dilemma. The new long header sounds amazing and would allow me to use my existing RACE exhaust, but I am a little nervous about the low hanging resonator effecting daily driving. If I didn't go that route, then I was thinking I would buy the short header, standard midpipe and replace my RACE with the new SuperQ.

7) Engine tune. First, what is the difference between EcuTek package for $719 and the old package that is $659? Is this something that is reasonable for an at home mechanic and has it impacted anyone's ability to get warrant work done?

Thanks again!
MarkL247

Re: Help me spend

Post by MarkL247 »

Answers below.

Best bang for buck as I have most of the mods you are asking about and I would do them in this order.

1. Wheels & tires this was the single biggest upgrade I made. The added grip was worth the price.
2. Tune as it will make car more fun to drive now. And if you get either header in the future you can have it retuned.
3. 2 piece rotors
beardedstealth wrote:Good day fellow enthusiast. I own a ND Miata Club-spec with NO BBS and NO Brembro and I would like your opinions.

I have already installed the Progress sway bars front and rear based on Brian's recommendation and absolutely love the handling improvements. I also installed the RoadsterSport RACE exhaust, which I wish was actually a little louder. After finishing both those jobs I am now chomping at the bit to do another round of upgrades, but I can't decide where to start, which is where you come in.

First a touch of background... I only drive on the street, but I still have a desire to make the car as light and fast as is reasonable without truly sacrificing its ability to daily drive. For whatever reason, the idea of losing weight on the car is very sexy to me, especially unsprung weight. Obviously I would love more power as well. And finally, handling is probably the most important out of everything. And just an example of how far I am willing to go on a "streetable" car is that I would have no problem with stiffer suspension giving me a harsher ride, but I wouldn't be okay if the car couldn't get over the speed bumps in my area.

Now, here is what I want to do to the car. Again, opinions on what to do first are greatly appreciated as well as feedback on whether an item is really worth the time or money and then finally there are some items in which I am stuck between a couple options and any input would help.

1) 17x9 wheels. Love the weight of the 6UL and love the price of the Konig.

I did 17x8 6UL for street didn't want to roll fenders.

2) Coilovers. Obviously the Ohlins look amazing, but not sure if that is overkill for the street?

3) Blackbird Fabworx ND RZ Roll Bar. Again, not sure if too much for street?

I did the hard dog roll bar at about half the price

4) 4 Piston caliper upgrade. I read that Brian enjoys the pedal feel better on the 6 piston, but the reduced weight on the 4 piston is attractive.

5) GWR Superlight 2-piece rotors front and rear.

These are great and you will tell the difference especially front

6) Header/Exhaust: this is where I am having the biggest dilemma. The new long header sounds amazing and would allow me to use my existing RACE exhaust, but I am a little nervous about the low hanging resonator effecting daily driving. If I didn't go that route, then I was thinking I would buy the short header, standard midpipe and replace my RACE with the new SuperQ.

From seeing the pictures I don't think you need to worry about daily driving as the reasonator is between the rear wheels

7) Engine tune. First, what is the difference between EcuTek package for $719 and the old package that is $659? Is this something that is reasonable for an at home mechanic and has it impacted anyone's ability to get warrant work done?

EcuTek is newer and a little more robust, old package uses Mazda Edit

Thanks again!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I second most of that. The light brake calipers and rotors are great and love them on mine. Yes to the new Ecutek tune. Given you already have the RACE, I would indeed do the Longtube (the combo is what I am driving today and I love it).

I am on the fence regarding the roll bars for you because they add weight and not sure I would suggest them for somebody never going to the track.

Given all you said I would NOT do 17x9 for you. I consider the 17x9 as really for the guys racing the weekends. I have 17x9 for racing ours, but always daily drive it on less. For customers who can have just one set of wheels AND they race the weekends in SCCA STR then 17x9 is the way to go. But if not racing then I think 17x9 is overkill and may be at odds with your goals. With your expressed desire to really go LIGHT on weight I would consider less wheel and how it helps you stay light. For example, I usually drive mine on 17x8 or 16x8....both of which are lighter than the stock 17x7. After using the 17x8 Tungsten 6UL for a while with 234/40/17, I am back on our original 16x8 Enkei RP-F1 combo with 205mm RE71R tires today, feels great, car is even more: 'light on it's feet'. For me the 17x9 feels a bit too nailed to the road and bulky for daily fun driving.
Attachments
EnkeiBlueND2.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
beardedstealth

Post by beardedstealth »

Amazing advice! Thank you guys.

I was especially excited to hear that you like the 16x8 wheel because I love the way the larger sidewall looks. And what you said about keeping it 'light on it's feet' really resonated as it is great to be able to slide it around a little on the street.

Did either of you have any feedback on the coilovers?

Thanks again.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, I think the ohlins are overkill for somebody never going to race. I have driven them all on my ND, for you my suggestion is look at our RSR coilovers, which come with slightly softer springs than the Ohlins. The RSR are 6kg/3kg springs, massively more competent than stock suspension.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
AndrewD459

Post by AndrewD459 »

Hi Brian, looking for some advice on suspension set-up too. Going to do some Club track days and maybe have a go at the supersprints (lightly modified class) next year (so around 12 track days/supersprints per year) and used for weekend driving regularly. About to get the progress sways (when they arrive). Would you opt for a coilover set-up or simply add the progress springs for an all rounder package. In attempting to keep my modifications on a reasonable budget, I have just purchased some Advanti 17 x 7 Storm II's and Hankook 215/45/17 RS3's for the track and keep the originals for road use. Also looking at getting the RoadSport Superstreet exhaust to top off the package (subject to wife approval).

Finally, after removing the factory plastic roll bar cover and seeing that the seat and my head are higher than the roll bar, I have looked at the JDM 4 point roll cages which appear great for anyone shorter than 5 foot 6 inches in a thin backed racing seat (not me) and the Harddog and Fabworx roll bars which negate the easy use of the soft top on the road and aren't clear on 4 point harness fitment and location (again my seat is close to the rear cabin wall and limits the use of any upper harness mounts that face forward (particularly on factory seats). So I was wondering if there was any thought given to a double hoop set-up like the factory hoops that was taller for improved roll-over head/helmet clearance and would allow easy use of the soft top as well as providing upper 4 point harness mounts.

Help me spend wisely.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Many of those JDM roll bar setups will not be considered legal at track events here in the USA. If you want legal for sure, you want the same bar we run in our car, the Blackbird Fabworx RZ. I am not having any issue with use of the soft top with ours...I still lift it from the driver's seat over the bar.

If you want fast for track days, coilovers are the way and really put you in control of final results in a way that springs will not. IF they don't fit the budget, wait for our Progress Race springs, which will have rates of 300/200, a good compromise for a daily driver that gets to the track.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com