Max power header and race single muffler dB?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
NCRuss

Max power header and race single muffler dB?

Post by NCRuss »

Hi,

I am about to install the header and pair this with my muffler, I will be keeping the OEM midpipe.

My main concern now is how loud this is going to be, the car is mostly used on track, in the UK this is tested at 105 static and 95 drive by. Will my car pass these tests? You don't really get another chance after being black flagged over here.

Thanks.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Max power header and race single muffler dB?

Post by Brian »

Question without distance too vague to answer. Here there is always a distance to sound meter in the spec for SCCA, etc.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NCRuss

Post by NCRuss »

Sorry, should have been more specific.

The static test is usually half a meter at a 45 degree angle from the exhaust, both horizontal and vertical, with the engine held at around 4K RPM. The drive by is slightly different at each venue but it is usually at the side of the track on the longest straight.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Sorry, Test here start at 25 feet....just have no data on measurements from so close as you are facing. We are working on new baffle that aims sound to side of your choice, cuts sound 5 to 10db....depending on distance.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NCRuss

Post by NCRuss »

Thanks for replying, I'll just have to install and hope to find somewhere to get tested before my next event.

Another quick question, if I install the header this weekend, but will not be able to get it remapped for another 3 weeks, will this be okay to drive in between as I will be removing the primary cat in the header? Or will this make the engine run rich/lean. Thanks
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

As long as you get OEM sensors back in there it should adjust itself. Our midpipe and extension cords makes it all plug and play, with stock midpipe you need to weld in O2 bungs before and after remaining converter.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com