NC stock clutch

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
ScottMulholland

NC stock clutch

Post by ScottMulholland »

I have a 2014 Club with 22000 miles on it and I am about ready to pull the trigger and install a supercharger. I was wondering how much power the stock clutch will handle. Everything I have read says to upgrade but I was wondering if I should do it along with supercharger or if I should wait until stock one is done. I don't do track days so this is just a weekend driver. Thanks for any info.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: NC stock clutch

Post by Brian »

Really not much harm waiting to see how long the stock one lasts. You might find on day one with supercharger that it slips as soon as you get to full boost, and that might prevent getting the tune complete, but still not much harm....and then you change the clutch. Since no labor is repeated if you change the clutch later I do not see much harm other than needing to make another appointment with your shop for install of the clutch that could have been done in same visit.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ScottMulholland

Post by ScottMulholland »

You said "shop" that's funny my wife doesn't let me spend that much. Just kidding. I enjoy doing it myself I was just curious if it was worth using the stock one up first or if it were be so bad that it'd not even be worth trying.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yeah, if you are the installer then have fun with the experiment, see how much boost you can put to the stock clutch before it slips. It will slip, just a matter of time and boost.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com