Header installation

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
KirkJ447

Header installation

Post by KirkJ447 »

I have ordered a Max power header with the ceramic and HH upgrade. I have a couple of questions while I wait for it to arrive. 1 I assume all the gaskets between the header midpipe and muffler are included and the originals are discarded. If not,do I need to source these locally. 2 My 06 is at 86000 miles and I am thinking of replacing motor mounts while I have the car up on jack stands for the exhaust . The question is it easier to rotate the engine while I remove the Oem exhaust or just follow the instructions posted by Brian and move the alternator aside or remove it. I am thinking I might as well go ahead and do the engine mounts either way. I've had a couple of missed shifts playing with the car and I can feel th shifter rotate under heavy load. Right now my Miata is just a weekend toy but I may try some auto cross in the future. I owned a Triumph GT 6 in college and I did some with our sports car club. Anyway I'm having fun with it . I've installed the Miester CRD coilovers and look forward to a few more upgrades
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Header installation

Post by Brian »

Please read down the page about seven threads to "Header Installation", most of your questions on header install are answered in that thread. You are not replacing gaskets between header and engine because, as explained in that thread, it is a stack of thin stainless plates, not a crush gasket that gets worn out. And gasket from exit of stock header is transferred over, see instructions and pics in that thread.

However, if jacking the motor on the header side to replace the motor mounts anyway, that will indeed open more space for header swap than we normally get with just tilting alternator forward. So, indeed those two projects are good to combine.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
KirkJ447

Post by KirkJ447 »

Thanks Brian as I reread the header install thread I see that you reuse the gaskets. I'll check them during the tear down I had assumed they where a different size. I'm use to looking at gaskets as a consumeable item. I will go ahead and order the motor mounts so I can take care of two birds with one jack stand 8) .Once I get the exhaust finished I'll look for a tune then some new wheels and tires. I like those pfo1's just have to decide how wide to go 8 or 9.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

On wheels, 8 inch for street...9 inch is really just for the guys racing the weekends at track or autocross. If not racing the weekends, going 9 inch comes with downsides of extra weight, rougher ride, higher risk of curb rash, etc. Thus, strongly suggest street drivers stick to 17x8 with 235/40 tire for best balance of performance and stick with some comfort maintained in the setup and some protection from curb rash.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
KirkJ447

Post by KirkJ447 »

Well I have finished the installation on my 06 . I had thought about doing the motor mounts at the same time to increase the room to maneuver the OEM header out but when I jacked up the motor it was not as stable as I would have liked so I lowered it back down . So I loosened the alternator and went that route. I will recommend removing the battery and box it gives lots of room and makes reattaching the alternator much easier. Since I was doing a complete exhaust system I started at the rear with the muffler. That was really the only hard piece as the bolts to the midpipe where rusted and I ended up cutting the muffler off. Every thing else came loose with a little penetrating oil, soap and a breaker bar not bad for 86000 mile car. I think I had it apart in about 3 hours. I did spend a good deal of time cleaning up the braces and under body ,removed the little rust I found and repainted them. I degreased as much as I could but the car is leak free as most looked like spills from oil changes and the like. The extension cables worked well the length on the short one could use another couple of inches and the long one could be a bit shorter for the Helmhotz midpipe. It may be the way I routed them but I wanted to make sure I had no contact with the header or mid-pipe. I reused the pigtails and added a couple of clamps to secure the wire to the frame. I also wrapped everything with some more insulation tape anyway I think I'm safe from melting anything.
I'm glad I ordered the motor mounts the ones on the car where soft enough that you could twist them by hand . Having the car already off the ground I don't think I spent much over an hour changing them. Also changed the transmission and diff oil I had gone by the local ford dealer and picked up the fluids.
I,m just waiting now for my ecu to come back from TDR and I'll be back on the road spring is coming fast here in the Carolinas and a couple of roads are calling. Next step is tires and wheels I still have a good bit of wear left on the goodyears that came with the car but when they are done I'll be ready
KirkJ447

Post by KirkJ447 »

My ECU came back from Jay at TDR and was able to fire up the car today. I love this combonation . The baffles are out for now we'll see if it mellows out as some have suggested but I love the sound so far. Had the top down, Jay said to get a few WOT pulls in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear if I could and I just loved the roar echoing back off the trees. Between the exhaust , the tune and new motor mounts i feel like I have a different car. The instructions and advise from Goodwin has really paid off along with the great products. Thanks
KirkJ447

Post by KirkJ447 »

I am going to add one more post about my install. We took advantage of the great weather today and made a mountain run to one of our favorite lunch places with a stop at great little winery we enjoy. I know a lot have asked about the sound of the GWR exhaust combos well I have to say mine is perfect. The max power header with the Helmholtz midpipe and super q muffler fits my needs. There is a very nice balance of sound VS loundness and it can be very easily controlled thru the throttle. Today driving thru the small town where we stop for lunch it was easy to keep it civilized and when we hit the hills headed to the winery I could make those pipes come alive with a nice guality tone. The ECU has adjusted to the car and tune and everything is really in harmony. The torque is great it really works for me in a street car. I'm still working on tires and wheels and can't wait to add a bit more grip. We all have different goals with our cars and I feel very close to having my perfect car. Sometime products don't live up to the hype but GWR deserves all their praise.