fiat 124 abarth exhaust question

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
RonaldD771

fiat 124 abarth exhaust question

Post by RonaldD771 »

2017 124 Abarth is on the way. I have a Roadster Sport 3 exhaust on my supercharged NB with the glass pack baffle installed. and I was wondering about the sound levels which would be present in the 124 Abarth resonated full exhaust system. I find the r/s3 to be a bit loud at WOT, and was wondering about the sound levels with the Abarth system. I will be using this car primarily for street use, with the occasional autocross as a possibility. so far I am considering the resonated Abarth mid pipe / crossover / muffler delete and diverter valve as a initial upgrade.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: fiat 124 abarth exhaust question

Post by Brian »

From everything you said, I think you want our system with midpipe resonator. Our full system without resonator will be louder than what you have, the system with resonator will be just a bit less than what you have. The character of the sound is also very different, the turbo is a fantastic blender/resonator of the sound, lots of fun burble in the results.

So, that means if you add just our muffler delete you raise the sound a lot more than if you add our full system with resonator in the midpipe. The reason is that your stock Abarth midpipe does not have a resonator, so adding our midpipe is putting a resonator where currently you have none. Thus, you could try just our muffler delete and try the FULL VOLUME, and then later add Crosspipe and Midpipe with Resonator for better flow and less overall sound.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
RonaldD771

Post by RonaldD771 »

looks like I will be ordering the full system along with the diverter valve sometime next week. another question, what is the reliability with the light weight battery? in essence does it last as long as the standard battery or would it be a annual replacement issue?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Great question on the battery.

On the Miata ND application of this same chassis it has been 100 % reliable...even when I park the car for a week. I have had same DELTRAN BTL24A360C in there two years, seems good to go a few more years.

The Fiat uses the battery after engine is off MUCH MORE, because it is running a pump and fluid through the turbo to cool it after the motor has been shut off. Thus, if the motor is REALLY HOT when you shut it off, that pump might run for 20 minutes and seriously drain the little race battery. I am in the habit of letting the car cool down before I shut it off, even if that means I need to flip on the defrost heater full blast for the last 5 minutes of the drive home so that when I shut off the Fiat either the turbo cooling pump does not run, or runs only a minute or two. And then I am still careful to use the float charger if the car is parked more than a day. And I do not leave the key in the car when car is in the garage (because that leaves car in ready to start mode and it draws more power). Thus, for all these reasons our Fiat description on the light battery includes our recommendation that this item is recommended only for the real track/autocross racers, not average daily drivers. I am running the ridiculously expensive 600 CCA EarthX LTX1200 currently so I can be a little more lazy than I was with 480CCA BTL35A480C.....but still the Fiat is usually on the float charger when in the garage.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jpwfz6

Post by jpwfz6 »

[quote][/quote]
Ronald,
Like you I had a GWR exhaust on my previous miata and as you know the GWR quality is top notch and the main reason why I bought the GWR full Abarth exhaust ( with resonator) for my 124. I absolutely love the new sound of the exhaust along with the occasional burbles and pops. I recently completed a long roadtrip with it ( ~4500 miles) and installed the packed baffles before we left (minor modification to get packed baffles to fit). Now that I am back home I have removed the baffles and am enjoying the full volume again. Once you have the system installed, you will understand the grins on Brian's face in the videos he has posted demonstrating the exhaust system. You can't help yourself.
I have several other mods on my car, including springs, wheels, big brake kit, but without a doubt the exhaust is the one mod that adds the most fun factor everytime I drive it!

Brian, Thanks for the updated info on your experience with the lightweight battery setup. I am still on the fence about it but appreciate your full disclosure on your findings with the setup and info about the fiat parasitic battery draw.

Jason
Jason
Victoria, BC Canada
:( Sold: 2006 Winning Blue, 2.5L, Progress springs, KYB shocks, Michelin PSS, Full GWR street exhaust.
:D Current: 2017 Fiat 124 Abarth, Rosso red, M/T, Progress springs, Wilwood BBK, Full GWR exhaust
RonaldD771

Post by RonaldD771 »

as I am planning for this car to be a daily driver...ish, I think I will be holding off on the battery at least until failure of the oem battery.. the daily driver...ish part is I will be still using my 00 miata for the most part going to work, at 17 years old as a d/d I am less likely to proverbially lose my fecal matter when it is bumped and dinged while parking in the French Quarter while at work. by the way last night on my way into work, I was complemented by a pedestrian for the great sound from the r/s 3 exhaust while crawling along in traffic.
RonaldD771

Post by RonaldD771 »

[quote][/quote]

I was just re reading the information on the 124 midpipe and sound level comparisons to stock. will the resonated mid reduce the sound level from stock? if the sound level is reduced, how can I change my order to a non resonated version?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

If you have ABARTH.....then changing to our complete setup will still raise the overall sound....just not massively. Your Abarth has no resonator in the midpipe and a muffler that is essentially gutted by design at the factory (no packing in it, etc). Going to our setup you are dumping the muffler....but adding a smaller muffler in the midpipe (the resonator). So, it's almost a push...except that with the pipe size being bigger and better flowing the final sound with our setup is still a little more. Thus, the site suggests strongly that most folks get the setup with the resonator in the midpipe....and that's my suggestion to you too. You will still get some fun extra sound.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
RonaldD771

Post by RonaldD771 »

I ended up getting the non resonated version..... I love the sound. a nice throaty roar, the beautiful gurgling sound, at WOT this is magnificent this is the sound of your dreams (if you are a motorhead).

I have neighbors, and they like me.... I just ordered the resonated midpipe.... I want my neighbors to like me next week also....

the sound of the non resonated system is phenomenal
WilliamE328

Post by WilliamE328 »

Greetings, I have a little different comparison question. I picked up a 2018 Fiat 124 Abarth a few weeks ago and I find the exhaust relatively quiet. I am comparing this to a stock Viper GTS exhaust sound level. With GWR full non resonated exhaust installed, what is the sound level compared the referenced Viper or a Corvette Z06? Any comments are welcome. I am planning to install the new exhaust after I get enough miles on the car so that I can get a baseline dyno run.