PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DYNO

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
NathanD277

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Post by NathanD277 »

Very nice! What wheel and tire setup there?
2017 Meteor Gray Club
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

NathanD277 wrote:Very nice! What wheel and tire setup there?
6UL Wheels 17x9...with Hoosier 225/40.

Our one year old Pup, "Mr Happy" inspects the Hoosiers.

Which makes them "Happy Hoosiers"....or even "WHo-osier Doggie?" :?
Attachments
HappyHoosier.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

More Autocross Fun! Had our friends down from 949 Racing to play against, they had 3 drivers including multi-national champ Ken Montonishi. Always a great day of fun with our friends from 949 Racing, always interested to ride in their gorgeous ORANGE ND.....and I do wish Mazda would offer fun colors like this!
Orange1.jpg
Orange1.jpg (111.84 KiB) Viewed 9345 times
Their best time on street tires (RE71R) was 96 with Ken driving. I then ran 95, 95, 95...and another 95, on Rivals, three clean runs and one dirty. I think the Rivals gave me the edge because they have tested slightly faster than RE71R on our broken up surface and obviously they can run incredibly consistent times. I was top street tire time for the day, our 949 friends then loaded up a set of 245/40 HOOSIERS and nailed a nice 94. I liked the way their ND layed power with new OSGIKEN limited slip, we put one in our Fiat 124 and recently drove it at another event and jumping from the 949 ND to our ND it was clear their car put power down better where I was spinning a wheel, will add the OSGIKEN soon.

Great day of fun, BMW Club events are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED by me because the courses are longer and faster than SCCA events, lots of 3rd gear use as you can see in the video. You don't have to own a BMW for BMW CLUB events, you do need to join their owner's club and then you can run a Miata in X Class, Instructors like myself are separated into Gold Class.

Further thoughts on light flywheel.....I don't like it. In all prior generations of Miata the light flywheel is a top mod for me, Mazda left a lot of extra weight in the flywheel for those generations. But on the ND it seems this is another place they already trimmed the fat about as far as most will want it trimmed. For racing it is great, but for daily driving even just a few pounds less is annoying in the ND. So, will be keeping the ACT clutch in the car but likely going back to stock flywheel soon. Thus, for ND my suggestion is the light flywheel is for those racing only.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
DavisJ867

Post by DavisJ867 »

Brian,

I just installed the max torque standard length headers and midpipe. I was an idiot and bought the SuperStreet twin tip about a month before I installed the rest of the exhaust. I really want to keep the twintip look but I really need to get a super-q. Will you be making a twin tip version of the super-q header muffler? I would be fine keeping the SuperStreet if it wasnt so ricey at around 5-6k rpm. Here is a link to a video of my RF with the full exhaust

https://youtu.be/cgWKrGOYFu8
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Indeed next batch of Twin tip will include some with the extra resonator on inlet side. But no ETA on that at this time.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
DavisJ867

Post by DavisJ867 »

Just a little update on my setup with the full exhaust and the SuperStreet Twin tip... After wrapping the standard length headers with DEI titanium wrap with a 50%overlap to reduce my engine bay Temps it also brought down the sound a tad bit and reduced the ricey sound where it's only really loud at about 5500 to the rev limiter.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Header wrap VOIDS all warranties with any maker of headers.
The reason is that it traps moisture against the metal and causes rapid deterioration.

Yes, drag racers wrap the headers for very slight performance advantage, but they do it knowing it means they get to rebuild the header at the end of every season.

Thus, you can use a header blanket like those we offer on prior generation Miatas, which do not seal moisture against the metal, but strongly suggest header wrap is not a good idea.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NathanD277

Post by NathanD277 »

Brian, do you have the tune results from 949's autocross car after Mat@OVTune dyno tuned it? They're running the LTH with 100 octane, and I was just curious how the curve looked and what numbers they were able to get.
2017 Meteor Gray Club
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

They reported not being able to budge the results, regardless of octane still stuck about 160 on their dyno. They have already swapped headers a few times and now they are talking about putting in a fresh motor in the search for better results.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NathanD277

Post by NathanD277 »

Wow. 160 on 100 octane sounds low for any header. Maybe there is something wrong with the motor. I'll keep watching.
2017 Meteor Gray Club