NC Brake Pads

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
miataman

NC Brake Pads

Post by miataman »

Hi!
Congratulations on the new exhaust Brian!!

Can you recommend any performance street brake pads for the NC?
My stock pads seem to need replacing as they have lost of lot in both initial bite and stopping power.
brmx5fan

Post by brmx5fan »

Does anyone know of any aftermarket performance pads for the 06 or 07 NC. My 06 has 22k miles and is in need of new pads and I would rather go with something a little more performance oriented than the OEM pads.
sloopercat

Post by sloopercat »

Carbotech has some different ones available. I have the Panther+, but they are pretty noisy and dusty for street use. They do grip like mad and do not fade.
brmx5fan

Post by brmx5fan »

Sloopercat,

Where did you get them? I can not find any of my regular places on-line that carry any aftermarket.
miataman

Post by miataman »

brmx5fan wrote:Sloopercat,

Where did you get them? I can not find any of my regular places on-line that carry any aftermarket.
I am too running on Carbotech Panther Plus pads.
I got them from Phil Frick at sales@dpeweb.com - he was very pleasant to deal with.
Very good performance, but I'd like some more initial bite.

Hawk Blue, HT-10 and DTC-60 are available too.
I will be trying the HT-10s when time comes most likely.
sloopercat

Post by sloopercat »

Mine have so much initial bite that they overwhelm the ABS system if I crank on them.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Hi Guys,

Sorry, I don't have any recommendations for pads on the NC yet....I have been so pleased with the stock pads so far that I have not experimented with anything else.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ronbauer

Post by ronbauer »

I've got some Hawk HPS pads which are really intended to be agressive street pads rather than track pads. So far in street driving they seem to be even better than stock and don't seem to have any more dusting issues than stock.

I had wanted the HP+ pads, but at this point they don't have them available for the NC. Unless you're planning to track the car, I don't think I wouldn't recommend anything more agressive. If you do plan to track the car, you're best off having two sets of pads, one for the street such as the HPSs and one for the track. When I ran the Blues on my Spec Miata, they worked quite well, but ate through the rotors quite quickly. Of course I also occasionally drove the car to the track, so that probably contributed to the quick rotor wear. The Blues really need a high temperature to work correctly.

The HPS pads run about $60 per end of car, which I think is quite reasonable.

I do have to agree with Brian that the stock pads are quite incredible. I upgraded to the Hawks because they are a sponsor of the SCCA Pro Solo program and I felt I owed it to them to try their pads. As noted, so far, I think they're great.

Mazda seems to have figured something out on brakes that no other manufacturer has. It started with the RX-8, then our MX-5s and now the Mazdaspeed 3.

Ron
miataman

Post by miataman »

The stock pads were very good in terms of stopping power, but they would overheat very easily - even on the street.
And after having overheated 5-6 times, their performance was crap...

I have been informed by a friend that Rayabestos have brake pads for the NC available.
He is using a race compound, which is supposed to be similar to the Hawk Blues, but dusts and wears the rotor less.
sloopercat wrote:Mine have so much initial bite that they overwhelm the ABS system if I crank on them.
On my car at least, the bite is very strong, but I feel it takes a bit longer than it should to get full braking power.
miataman

Post by miataman »

It sounds incredible, but my front Carbotech Panther Plus pads have very little life left after just 4000 miles!! :shock:
I guess I'd better order them in bulk!

Should I maybe try a set of harder compound pads?
Tein SS coilovers w/ upper mounts & EDFC, RX-8 sway bars
Carbotech Panther Plus pads, Goodridge stainless steel hoses
Mazdaspeed CAI, DC Sports Race header, custom cat-back (single)
Toyo R888 (205/40/17)