Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
dmicah

Re: Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Post by dmicah »

Brian wrote:The Street headers with converters don't have codes if you install the sensors as directed....but the product descriptions clearly state we do NOT recommend them for supercharger use and the warranty does not cover use with superchargers. Yes, we still have some ceramic coated versions.
I can understand why the warranty shouldn't apply when the owner installs a supercharger-- that makes perfect sense. However, would you agree that the part would probably hold up against supercharging better than the OEM choker? I think I'm quibbling over "recommend." I guess I'm curious if the issue is that when using a supercharger you should go for a header that doesn't have a cat or something.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I have consistently said that customers getting a supercharger should push the first converter further down the system if they want those converters to last. The converter in our "Street" header is pushed down further than the stock unit, all the way against the lower flange of the header. So, indeed it is true it will live longer than the stock header because it is little further downstream. Nonetheless, supercharger customers will max their results with our RoadsterSport Max Power header or our PPE Long Tube header and the converters will live much longer. My estimate is that using any catted header will mean giving up about 20 hp for supercharger customers.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JonU

Post by JonU »

Va MX5 wrote:...2) find a Much Smaller rear view mirror that works with the factory mount. I hate losing the auto dimming and door openers, but the loss of visibility is worse. Anyone’s thoughts would be appreciated.
Trade with me for my stock mirror! :)
AZ Sun Lover

Post by AZ Sun Lover »

Va MX5 wrote:Folks, this is my 1st post on this forum, so, Hello to all. The folks at Goodwin Racing have been an excellent resource and a great vendor to work with, even with some of the challenges I have caused them. I am interested in this thread and the SS project because its base is a PRHT. I picked up the Progress springs and sways, along with a couple of other things, from Brian. Current plans are to use the factory Bilsteins with the new Progress springs until some other things are improved on the car, and circle back for good coilovers later. Parts are in the shop and install will soon begin. The Progress instructions supplied with the springs indicate one should cut the Bumpstops by 50% as part of the install process. I have read some of the posts by Az Sun Lover, FrankP885 and Chuch H on the bumpstop subject, understanding their comments are in the context of Koni’s / Progress springs / bumpstops. Also read references to FCM bumpstops (not familiar with these), as part of the ongoing exchange. Great discussion guys, thanks.

Question for Brian, what bumpstop did you use on the SS project and did you cut the size as part of the final install? If so, by how much?

On another subject, while I have the car up in the air for the suspension upgrades, I was thinking of installing the RoadsterSport Street Header, Brian has developed. Brian, do you have any of the Ceramic units left in stock? In some of the thread comments you had referenced efforts to “avoid codes”, is there any issues remaining in that regard? Also, would this Header be suitable for a super charger upgrade in the future, that would likely pass “49 state” requirements?

I am new to MX5’s and I am enjoying the car, particularly as the setup improves. Two things about the car I would like to do something to improve, are 1) lessen the road noise with the top up, and 2) find a Much Smaller rear view mirror that works with the factory mount. I hate losing the auto dimming and door openers, but the loss of visibility is worse. Anyone’s thoughts would be appreciated.
Trust me do not do anything to the OEM / stock bump stops other than installing them on the Koni's! You will need to drill out the cup the bump stop sets in / mounts to, but that's it! Please trust me one this one!

If you decide your changing them please sale me your used OEM / stock bump stops. At one time they were on a nation wide back order. My local parts guy has told me these little things are hot selling item for Mazda. I guess I'm not the only one who has made the mistake of cutting or trimming them.

AZ
projectrally

Post by projectrally »

Just checking in to see if you've made any progress with earlier discussed goal from the project:
1) sound deadening
2) front lip
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The front lip is in progress, going to Urethane....hope to have that finished soon.

Have not done anything on the sound deadening yet, perhaps mostly because I got accustomed to the road sounds. Nonetheless, will likely come back to this in time.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
RogerA391

Post by RogerA391 »

Hi Brian,

I am new to Good-Win-Racing and just became a member yesterday. I've enjoyed, and learned a lot, reading the thread on your project car, with specific attention on the RoadsterSport Street header. Before I place an order (header, mid-pipe and Q exhaust for a 2006 manual trans with soft top), I would just like to clarify a couple of things...do you use the two O2 sensor bungs before and after the header cat? Or do you only use the first one, plug the second one, and run the long extension to the back bung on the mid-pipe? And, it looks like Pat was able to install the sensor without using an extension. Thanks for your help.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

With the RoadsterSport Street header the O2 sensors stay in the stock configuration, which is one sensor before converter and one after (and both still in the header). You don't need any extensions.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
RogerA391

Post by RogerA391 »

Brian wrote:With the RoadsterSport Street header the O2 sensors stay in the stock configuration, which is one sensor before converter and one after (and both still in the header). You don't need any extensions.
Great, exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the quick response. Now to place the order!
Va MX5

Post by Va MX5 »

Folks, I've been marking some progress with installs of IL Motorsport braces and Progress sways. The short of it is they are GREAT, the car is MUCH flatter cornering and MORE responsive to steering inputs. So a tip of my helmet goes to Brian for all the recommendations he has provided to us in this thread. I will post some notes in the installation instructions section of the forum about the IL braces which I hope are helpful to others. The sways are awesome and install is not difficult for most DIY'ers. These items were combined with a wheel/tire upgrade using 17 x 9 rims with a 48mm offset from the Good-win Racing selection, with no fender mods needed. Collectively, the car sticks like glue. This weekend it's time for Progress spring install and then off for 4 wheel alignment. Can't wait to drive it afterwards. Please note I have been buying the components a few at a time to get to this install point and anyone can do this over time. I can't speak highly enough about these upgrades, and it is still DD friendly so it will work for all.
To JonU, thanks for the mirror swap offer, but I found if the Grand Touring mirror is flipped up-side down (180 degrees) it can be pushed up higher towards the roof line providing better visibility for taller drivers. One other helpful thing for the taller folks, is to raise the front of the drivers seat by using 2 hockey pucks as spacers with longer bolts between the seat pan and the seat base mechanism. This may help those who are not budgeted for buying race seats to achieve a better heel/ toe position for aggressive driving. That's all for now, regards to all.
Last edited by Va MX5 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat- Va MX5
2012 MX5 PRHT GT