Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Post by Brian »

NobleK wrote:Very nice images. I especially liked the Manzanita bark. What are shooting with?

How did you like 243? Uphill or down?

BTW what tires are you running on you project?

NobleK
Thanks. I have been an SLR man all my life...until now. Still got my original Nikon FE film camera from the 70s and several of my later cameras. Last few years it has been Canon DSLR choices like the Rebel and D40. But I finally got tired of carrying the big cameras. SOLD my last DSLR Rebel and D40 on Craigslist and used the money to more than pay for the new big sensor Sony pocket camera RX100 after reading some of the stellar reviews...like this one and this review. In short, it ain't perfect but like a Miata it is AMAZING for its size and I will never go back to a DSLR when I just slip this little thing in my pocket and go. I have shrunk the shots way down to post here, the detail on the full 20 meg versions will blow your mind.

Ran 243 both ways, a few fun sections to be sure...but I really liked one uphill section on the 74 out of Hemet that was heavily banked (will post some GoPro video when I get the chance.

Still stock tires on this car...and we are wearing them out fast! We have special order of 17x7.5 SBC finish RP-F1 coming soon for this project.

Sunset shot Nicaragua, same Sony pocket camera
Attachments
Nic sunset-small.jpg
Nic sunset-small.jpg (191.4 KiB) Viewed 7193 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
eluviis

Post by eluviis »

How many miles on her so far?

Thanks for the camera comments BTW. I'm a graphic designer by trade and do a lot of my own photography. In fact, I'm working on catalog right now were 95% of the photography is all mine. I'm shooting with the company's Canon 7D at the moment, and it is great. But I agree that when it comes to moving around, a smaller camera is the way to go. I've been wanting to upgrade my home camera. I'm going to check that small Canon out.
My car: The 1995 RallyWays Miata
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I think we have only 4000 miles on the car so far, but lots of aggressive driving included and it looks like the stock tires will be bald before we hit 5000 miles. Just got an update from Enkei that the wheels are due here first week of September. If you want a small pocket camera with big sensor, see those links I provided above on this new Sony.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
eluviis

Post by eluviis »

Wow. And I thought I was driving mine hard. O.O - I just crossed 5,000 miles and did the first oil change and tire rotation at home this weekend. Mobil 1 0W-20 and Wix. The tires still look like they'll last 15,000 miles at least.

I suppose the sways and springs account for that a bit, on your car. Right? Being flatter would allow you to push the car further and put more stress on the tires than my motorboating Miata. Apart from a couple of tail out oversteers on purpose, I don't usually hear/feel the tires squealing cause I'm too busy dealing with leaning over! Haha.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yep, the stock suspension is a natural limiter on pushing the tires.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
DouglasLau

Post by DouglasLau »

Brian,

This is my first post, but I've been browsing this forum for several months. I bought a 2009 last December exactly like your 2012 PRHT SS Project, so I have major interest in your upgrades.

Have you done any work on the PRHT rear spoiler? I wanted to put in my 2 cents. You mentioned you wanted to do something more aggressive than to stock lip spoiler, but not as much as your current tail spoiler. I'm not fond of the Autuko spoiler and those that I've seen don't look like they fit very well. I like the factory soft top lip spoiler, but as you say, could be more aggressive. My 2 cents would be that yours not be too aggressive, since I have a factory car cover and it may not fit if it's too large.

Great pics from your latest trip. I live in KC, so I have to drive quite a while to see scenery like that.

You have great information on this forum, and I'll continue to watch your PRHT project.

Thanks,
Doug
NobleK

Post by NobleK »

Yesterday I had an up close and personal experience with Brian/Andi's PRHT. Yeah I got a ride. I've also got a 2012 PRHT and I've been following Brian's mods very closely. Yesterday I learned 4 things.

1. The Copper red and tan interior is a very nice combination. I also learned how to easily remove my front license plate holder. Much :D better smile.

2. There is a lot more torque with Brian's header, midpipe and Roadster Sport Q muffler. A lot more torque. Back of the seat torque. I've already got the Q. As to mid pipe and header the Warranty and smog worry me a bit but ... we'll see.

3. The sways bars really matter but so do the springs. The springs will be my next mod. I can see how the wheels and right tires will also help.

4. No matter what I do to my car it won't go like Brian/Andi's. Brian is a professional driver. In short order he turned that little Miata into a monster and then rode it like he owned it. Which he does. A car in the hands of a professional is an amazingly different animal. He took the car to the edge of control and played with it. Interesting after the first clover leaf on-ramp I never felt at risk. He was relaxed and handling it easily. I am sure there are other good drivers but we should all remember it takes a lot miles at the edge to gain that professional ability. Even without that ability my improvements bring a smile to my face every time I drive it. Mine is not a monster, yet, maybe a big friendly dog. : ) . The Q helps the growl.

Brian - thanks for the lesson. Anytime you want to give me a refresher I am ready.
Last edited by NobleK on Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Thanks for coming to our Tech day and giving me an excuse to have some ramp fun (any excuse works for me!). :mrgreen:

It was also nice to have your 2012 special edition at the event. There were a lot of local Miata club members who enjoyed taking a look at your SE and you were most kind to let folks jump in your car.
Attachments
2012 SE.JPG
2012 SE.JPG (133.89 KiB) Viewed 8637 times
Miata Special Edition.JPG
Miata Special Edition.JPG (122.19 KiB) Viewed 8682 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
eluviis

Post by eluviis »

I wish I had known about the tech day!! Brian, when I did my first purchase (with Brad) a couple of months ago, I thought I was in your mailing list. Maybe not :(

But anyhow, guess what I was doing on Saturday!!???

Well, doing the Idyllwild drive! Did the whole trip with my wife following me in her Mustang. Of course, she had to slow down when it got real twisty. Specially, the 74, going North, as soon as you pass the 243 that goes up to Idyllwild - That gets super Twisty!

On the way back, we did the 243 to the 74 South, to the 371 to the 79. When we hit the 79 we were going to go South and all the way down past Palomar Mountain. But I was real tired, and we had to go to North County, so we headed towards Temecula instead.

By the way, going up the hill, my MX5 did 26MPG while the V6 Mustang did 22MPG. On the trip down, the Miata did 34MPG and the Mustang 32. Not bad for either car. In the city though, I average 22MPG while the Mustang only does 16, if that!

I was going to post a pic, showing off my girls (like Brian did, haha!) but I didn't want to get all intrusive in Brian car's thread. So, go find it in the best NC pics on Miata.net instead.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Brian wrote:Hi Folks

Finished the Progress Springs! After working for a few months with Progress on getting springs dialed in for the PRHT we are finally there. Final heights 14 inches front, 14.25 rear with no passengers. Add two adults and you end up level. Looks good, handles great! Looking forward to getting the Enkei wheels we ordered a few months ago....which should be here late this month!
After a bunch of weekend mountain driving we got a little settling of another quarter inch all around.....now 13.75 front, 14 rear.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com