Back in Winning Blue. Our 'new' Project Blue!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
BillB923

Re: Back in Winning Blue. Our 'new' Project Blue!

Post by BillB923 »

This 2.5 swap in Winning Blue is getting very very exciting.
Brian...any progress with testing the new cams?
Also whose & which cams are you testing?
For a daily driver with some auto crossing on Saturdays, perhaps this is the perfect recipe for broad linear power, price and dependability!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Working with Mike of MotoEast on the cams. Going with his 1.5 version cams rather than the more aggressive 2.0. The reason is that the 2.0 would give all gains at the top end, and though that would give us more 'bragging rights' peak hp numbers, I would rather work the strength of the 2.5 and get even more torque everywhere.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
sjd

Post by sjd »

Brian wrote:Working with Mike of MotoEast on the cams. Going with his 1.5 version cams rather than the more aggressive 2.0. The reason is that the 2.0 would give all gains at the top end, and though that would give us more 'bragging rights' peak hp numbers, I would rather work the strength of the 2.5 and get even more torque everywhere.
Excellent, too many people get hung up on peak numbers. But speaking of numbers it would be nice to get some instrumented 0-60 and 1/4 mile times when its done to show how much of an improvement there is over stock. I read though everything but may have missed it, what is redline on your 2.5?
2010 Competition Yellow MX-5.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I will try and get some 0-60 times soon. Still 7200 rpm currently. My NCLIGHT track car does 7800 with a built high compression 2.5 but for this toy I don't have the need for that range...at least at this time. :wink:
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
TCR

Post by TCR »

Following this with interest, as I'm planning to build a similar car here. I've been involved in racing Production Sports Cars including quite a few MX5s for a number of years, and have worked closely with your Australian distributor.

Looking forward to seeing the dyno results with the upgraded cams.
illy

Post by illy »

Mike,

Do you have any numbers for the 1.6" PPE long tube header, how does it compare to the new 1.8" short header on a 2.5 NA engine? Taking they both are followed by a 2.5" midpipe with a single high-flow cat.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

All the numbers we have are posted....including for the new version 1.6 PPE just a few pages back against the smaller version shortie at the time, and the 1.8 size shortie is a page later. It's all here, just gotta go a few pages back. Short answer is that the new 1.8 size has the best numbers of all....so far. More versions to test soon, so stay tuned.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
illy

Post by illy »

Brian,
Sure, I spotted the earlier dyno runs with the PPE header a couple of pages back but I wasn't sure if I could compare the numbers directly. So basically the intake work was pretty much finished by then and nothing else has changed since?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

illy wrote:Brian,
Sure, I spotted the earlier dyno runs with the PPE header a couple of pages back but I wasn't sure if I could compare the numbers directly. So basically the intake work was pretty much finished by then and nothing else has changed since?
Yes, intake was done when the motor was installed, nothing but header changes for those several pages.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
X25

Post by X25 »

Are you going to dyno the 2.5 engine + Moto-east 1.5 cam setup this week? Looking forward to the results.