Back in Winning Blue. Our 'new' Project Blue!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
ShannonK567

Re: Back in Winning Blue. Our 'new' Project Blue!

Post by ShannonK567 »

Is this new header for a 2.5 swap or is this going to be a replacement for the other header. Eventually by the summer I hope to be putting one on my car but kinda thinking I'm going to wait for this one if its feasible.
Chuck H

Post by Chuck H »

It's for 2.5 swaps. The primaries are kind of big for a 2.0L and will lose low end power compared to the regular Max Power header.
2019 Arctic White RF GT-S
SmartTop, coilovers
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Chuck nailed it...this is a 2.5 header.

We will test it on supercharged 2.0....but it is indeed too big for normal 2.0
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Verwah

Post by Verwah »

I'm planning a 2.5 swap at the end of May. I would love to use this header when the engine goes in. It will be a fairly built engine - performance camshaft, high comp pistons, strong rods, etc. Ideally, I would use the new header with the Good-Win mid and Super-Q.

My eyes are peeled for the progress on this header!
ourly

Post by ourly »

V,
Tell us about your cams etc. I'd like to know the details and your HP/Tq goals.
Cheers,
Rick
Verwah

Post by Verwah »

ourly wrote:V,
Tell us about your cams etc. I'd like to know the details and your HP/Tq goals.
Cheers,
Rick
The engine is being built by Dynotronics in Texas. It will have forged pistons, 10.8:1, Carillo rods and the stage 1 integral camshaft for atmo. My goals are north of 200 wheel hp and about 200 ft-lb on 91 octane. Its going to have dual fuel maps for 91 octane and E85. The E85 map will be interesting to see. I expect lots of torque. I will also be using the EcuTek controller for set up and RaceRom controller for autocross. This engine will move me from STR to SM.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Brian wrote:Getting CLOSE GUYS! Check those SEXY Legs!

You see here the final prototype, not polished like production pieces will be, but showing the smooth bends of the production JIG and more clearance to the alternator and other little adjustments for ease of install, etc. We plan our final double check of fitment tonight and then will start production this week with expectation we can ship first batch within about 2 weeks. Will likely start pre-orders late this week, polished version will ship first just after middle of April, ceramic coated will take some extra time but I hope ceramic can ship by end of April.
Well, we have tucked #3 as best we can and unit will now install but it is NOT easy. These 1.8 inch pipes are JUST SO BIG compared to any header we had before on these cars (and bigger pipe needs bigger radius for clean curves) and with the extra size of the 2.5 engine it makes things really REALLY hard to fit. Nonetheless we have everything adjusted now so that we have half inch clearance to the alternator, and half inch clearance from #4 to the firewall, and over half inch clearance from #3 to the heatshield that protects the brake lines. BUT, install still likely requires that typical customer disconnect and remove the engine mount bracket and jack up the engine an inch or so.... and that really bugs me. Lots of headers on other cars require this sort of work...including headers for our Dakota shop truck, but it still bugs me....so likely additional delay as we try to make further adjustment to avoid that.

Also slowing us down is that we damaged the motor. Had SCCA autocross event that was HOT, ambient temps over 100 and surface temps more like 120 F and for the first time ever I got the temp gauge well over the half way point, perhaps beyond 2/3rd up before I turned on the heater/defroster to cool it down...but apparently the damage was done. Since our motors run lots of events where they maintain high rpms for lots and lots of lap time we track our compression and leak down numbers and our numbers took a serious hit from that hot episode. Did a leak down and it tells us the rings are the issue. So, we are pulling the motor and adding some upgraded pistons/rings. Hopefully we didn't heat damage anything else, will look around in there while we have it out of the car. That means at least 10 days for us to turn around the motor refresh...and perhaps even longer for the header reconfiguration of runners number #3 and #4 so this header can install without having to disconnect the motor mount and jack up the motor.

Since we are going to the trouble we will upgrade to higher compression pistons! Will improve cooling with some of the improvements we are doing to our Supercharged 2007....including our Singular hood vents for NC and a separate Air/oil cooler to augment the factory Water/Oil heat exchanger. Pics to follow.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Oil Coolers can be a challenge in the NC because the typical thermostatic sandwich adapter (Mocal, etc) does not fit. The crew over at Flyin Miata ran into the same issue and came up with their own $649 custom made solution. The FM solution is very nice, but we decided to keep looking for an off-the-shelf solution that is plug and play with the factory hardware. Happy to say that I think we found it, an off the shelf kit from a name we know that includes a thermostatic adapter that plugs and plays with the factory setup. Going to install and test but if it works out then I think we can get it to customers for $499 retail including the stainless lines, 19 row cooler, etc.
Attachments
NC-OIL-Cooler.jpg
NC-OIL-Cooler.jpg (28.75 KiB) Viewed 10237 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Oh yeah...almost forgot to mention got another challenger for ultimate 2.5 liter header.

Yeah, it's bigger than the last one we tested a few pages ago.
Attachments
Long-Tube-1.8.jpg
Long-Tube-1.8.jpg (127.38 KiB) Viewed 10237 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
X25

Post by X25 »

Brian wrote:Oil Coolers can be a challenge in the NC because the typical thermostatic sandwich adapter (Mocal, etc) does not fit. The crew over at Flyin Miata ran into the same issue and came up with their own $649 custom made solution. The FM solution is very nice, but we decided to keep looking for an off-the-shelf solution that is plug and play with the factory hardware. Happy to say that I think we found it, an off the shelf kit from a name we know that includes a thermostatic adapter that plugs and plays with the factory setup. Going to install and test but if it works out then I think we can get it to customers for $499 retail including the stainless lines, 19 row cooler, etc.
I suppose this is the Mishimoto kit? How did it work out, and does it come with stuff to handle deleting the factory cooler?