PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DYNO

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
ABQautoxer

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Post by ABQautoxer »

Brian wrote:
ABQautoxer wrote:Do you have any weights for the Roadster Sport midpipe and Header yet?
Have not had a chance to weigh the final midpipe.

My recollection from playing with prototypes was the midpipe is slightly heavier than stock midpipe as you should expect since it is moving up to 2.5 inches of flow, and the header saves a lot of weight in dropping that first converter such that midpipe and header prototypes together were less weight as a combo than the stock header/midpipe combo.
Thanks Brian. I was guessing this especially with the large resonator, which I prefer, in the midpipe. Glad to hear the overall combo saves a little weight, especially happy it doesn't add any.
2016 Club
SeanM856

Re: ND Development, Testing, Measurements Thread...

Post by SeanM856 »

Brian wrote:Adding the slant cut resulted in the RoadsterSport Race dropping to 11.00 pounds even!
Brian,
I am part way through my install of the race on my 16 Club and I couldn't find install instructions for ND (just NC). Does the gasket remain between mid and exhaust and is the torque 30 ft/lbs on the bolts? If I missed a thread relating to install I will apologize in advance.
Thanks,
Sean
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Hi Sean

For ND it is simple enough that we put it at bottom of the product description for each product.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Ryan @ GWR

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

Just posting this fun pic of our tech day group around the ND back when we were still just getting our first look at the car in the flesh.
techday group cropped.jpg
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Pics on nice San Diego Day of our BLUE ND as currently equipped with our front spoiler, front and rear big brakes, roll bar, 17x8 Tungsten 6UL wheels, 235/40 R1R tires. Constant changes in coilovers as we test and test but FEAL coilovers on the car today with Progress Sways front and rear.
Attachments
Blue-ND-Tungsten.JPG
Blue-ND-Tungsten2.JPG
Blue-ND-tungsten3.JPG
Blue-Tungsten-ND.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Ryan @ GWR

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

Hard Dog has just finished development of their M4 Sport roll bar for the 2016 MX5 and they are now available to order.
m4s_2.jpg
- Allows full use of the soft top, seat travel and seatbelt
- Available with no diagonals or double diagonals (as pictured)
- Includes a harness bar with integrated top latch bracket
- Black powdercoat
- Constructed of 1.75" diameter x .120" wall tubing
- Hardware and backing plates included
- Optional padded cover available (as pictured)
m4s_1.jpg
m4s_3.jpg
m4s_4.jpg
Brian
Site Admin

Re: ND Development, Testing, Measurements Thread...

Post by Brian »

Brian wrote:Rough day of autocross testing of new coilovers today, sometimes two steps forward and one setup back! Today the first valving choice on FEAL coilovers had us understeering into turns and oversteering out of the turns, the worst combo. The new power felt FANTASTIC...but we could not use it today.

We will send these back to FEAL and keep working with them on it until it gets right. In the meantime, for next event will look forward to having our OHLINS back in our Race ND, they were magic at the last few events. To push the test envelope on the Ohlins will likely test the upper limit of rates they can control with current valving, thinking 11/6 or 12/6. Stay tuned!

FEAL valving version TWO in our ND and much better results! Ride is better yet handling also better. SCCA autocross today IN THE RAIN, which challenges any suspension. Won XP class, set Top Time for the run group, beating even the all wheel drive cars in the wet.
Attachments
tmp_31523-20160131_1440411512227320.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Ryan @ GWR

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

Our Front Big Brake Kits for the ND are now ready to rock and roll. In stock and shipping.
NDBBK_DP6Black_Tungsten.jpg
Our approach with the ND Big Brake Kit has been to accomplish a Porsche-style philosophy of making a car that is just as good at Touring on the street as it is turning fast laps at the track, without need for any changes. Big 12.88" rotors with tons of thermal capacity means more braking torque and much lower temperatures than possible with the factory 11" rotor size. This makes for a braking setup that pulls off the "hat trick" for a do-everything MX5; you can daily drive the car and then pull onto the racetrack and turn fast laps all day long, without so much as changing the brake pads. Or, with a swap to a more aggressive brake pad, you've got brakes fit for use with even a turbo or supercharger and race tires.

These kits have been available for pre-order but we wouldn't release them until we were 100% satisfied with every detail. Even after our "final" testing at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca we made a few additional revisions.

Our prototypes used a modified Wilwood rotor hat so you may have seen early pictures of the kit with those hats, but we went back to the drawing board for the final production units and the result is this beautiful scalloped hat design that boasts stronger rotor to hat connections, even lighter weight, and a hard anodized finish:
NDBBK_Hat.jpg
With the final details in place, these kits are now shipping! No waiting, every part of these kits in on the shelf here.

Here are the full production kits.

BBK with 4 Piston caliper in Black:
NDBBK_DP4Black-2small.jpg
NDBBK_DP4Black-1small.jpg
NDBBK_DP4Black-5small.jpg
BBK with 4 Piston caliper in Red:
NDBBK_DP4Red-1small.jpg
NDBBK_DP4Red-3small.jpg
BBK with 6 Piston caliper in Red:
NDBBK_DP6Red-1small.jpg
NDBBK_DP6Red-2small.jpg
BBK with 6 Piston caliper in Black, installed on to the car:
GWR_ND_FBBK_3.jpg
GWR_ND_FBBK_4.jpg
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Stock ND Muffler. I was initially a bit concerned that our SuperQ would have challenge in flowing better than stock muffler despite fact we use a very smooth mandrel bent design, but with the long run to the side entrance of that muffler and not knowing the stock design initially I did not know what to expect. Turns out we easily beat the stock muffler for flow, see dyno a few pages back, and now cutting open the stock muffler it is easy to see why. All the sound is pointed into a sealed chamber (orange arrow), forcing all flow to exit the perforated pipe at red arrow. That is an easy way to control sound but terrible for flow.

Again, STOCK ND muffler below, entry pipe with the sound is pointed into a sealed chamber (orange arrow), forcing all flow to squeeze out the perforated pipe at red arrow. That sealed chamber is effectively a Helmholtz chamber, though configuration is much different than the smooth flow manner in which we use a Helmholtz in our designs. My bet is that we are the only vendor that consistently investigates the internal configurations of all stock Miata mufflers, I do it because I am always curious to see what the factory did as it reveals their priorities...as it reveals opportunities. From my early experiments on ND we suspected the factory included a Helmholtz chamber, part of the reason we include a Helmholtz in each of our ND mufflers, and expect customers will find annoying drone with any ND exhaust that does not use some sort of Helmholtz strategy. Mazda's method is an easy, light, and 'cost effective' way to control sound but shows that smooth flow was a low priority at the factory...and smooth flow is what you need to maximize power results. Lack of smooth flow is typical in the history of Miata factory stock mufflers since the beginning, nice of Mazda to consistently leave us some room for significant improvement in both sound and flow. :mrgreen:
Attachments
StockNDMufflerCut.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ABQautoxer

Post by ABQautoxer »

Crazy to see that design. That explains the nice gains you have seen just with an axleback.
2016 Club