PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DYNO

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
skeeler

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Post by skeeler »

Thanks for the info. That will give me a good starting point. I'm building a spreadsheet to calculate ride frequencies and front roll couple. I know what frequencies I like, based on my NC, but I'm not sure what FRC to aim for on the ND platform.
2009, STR & DD. 1995, HPDE. 2004 MSM, sold. 2010 Mazda3, hers.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Much of what you learned on NC will not help on ND. The ND rear suspension in particular is totally different. Long travel instead of short, under load it toes in....not toe out like NC did under load, etc. Consequently, you should expect to prefer setups on the ND that you never did on NC.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

Agreed. Ride/bounce/natural/resonant frequencies correlate well with perceived stiffness, and so they can be used to compare ride quality from one platform to another and as a starting point on a new platform. FRC can be used to balance the car, but the ideal FRC for a given driving style seems to vary from one platform to another.

My usual approach is to choose the approximate front and rear frequencies and FRC I want, compute the spring rates required from the frequencies, then use sway bars to balance the car by getting close to the desired FRC. If the required bar dimensions are unavailable or extreme in some way, I'll iterate the design until come up with a good compromise. That's worked on my NA and NC.

For the ND, my plan is to use some other drivers' setups to compute the FRCs they are running. If there's a consensus, I'll use that. If not, I'll go with the mean, median, or mode. From there, I can take the approach described above.

All of that should get me to a good starting point. Once I have those parts on the car, I'll have to drive the thing to see how I want to change it. I'm hoping there will be enough adjustment in the bars that I can get the behavior I want simply by adjusting them or, at worst, buying one pair of springs 1 kgf/mm away from what's on the car.
2009, STR & DD. 1995, HPDE. 2004 MSM, sold. 2010 Mazda3, hers.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Customer installs of our ND Progress Springs....looking great!

Actually two different customers with the same package and color of Club.
Attachments
ProgressND-Installs1.jpg
ProgressND-Installs1.jpg (72.76 KiB) Viewed 10001 times
CustomerInstall-NDs.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NathanD277

Post by NathanD277 »

Mine is the one with the top up. These are exactly what I was wanting, just a mild drop for aesthetics, almost identical ride comfort to stock, and noticeably less body roll. I'm very happy with them.
2017 Meteor Gray Club
NathanD277

Post by NathanD277 »

I know you guys are busy with a lot of projects, but I was just wondering if you had an update on the ported head test.
2017 Meteor Gray Club
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

NathanD277 wrote:I know you guys are busy with a lot of projects, but I was just wondering if you had an update on the ported head test.
Likely at least another 2 weeks before we get to that...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NathanD277

Post by NathanD277 »

I understand. Fingers crossed for great results across the board. I'm hoping the cam timing can be adjusted enough to maintain equal low end while gaining significant top end.
2017 Meteor Gray Club
Chuck H

Post by Chuck H »

Brian,

I know that folks are requesting infinite variations on ND exhaust, and the last thing you need is more requests. :wink:

But I've noticed a number of posts over on miata.net with people that can't handle the sound with a header and midpipe even with the Super Q muffler. Any thoughts on a variation of the full length midpipe with the monster resonator that you folks used in the long tube header midpipe? It might be enough to take the edge off the volume so that folks can still use the Super Street variant mufflers with the shorty header.
2019 Arctic White RF GT-S
SmartTop, coilovers
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Two responses to that Chuck. Number one is special header version of SuperQ that is on the site now and just started shipping last Friday. It adds another resonator before the muffler, on the inlet of the SuperQ. Our standard length header just started to ship this past week to customers, me made sure this special header version of SuperQ was ready about the same time. I already posted at Miata.net a few times that owners of regular SuperQ BUYING OUR HEADER can trade to this version, just order up the new one and use the box it arrives in to ship back the original and we refund the original when it gets back in good shape.

SuperQHeader.jpg
SuperQHeader.jpg (12.25 KiB) Viewed 9811 times
Second response is that we are looking at second generation of our midpipe that adds more resonator, but we won't go all the way to the monster 5 inch diameter used with the longtube because we want at least one midpipe choice that tucks neat well up in the stock space, because some of those who like to worry will want choice that tucks up neat like the stock midpipe (and you know Miata.net is full of folks who like to worry about everything they can find to worry about :wink: ). This second option would still be months away, perhaps by September and likely moving from 4 inch diameter resonator to longer version in 4.5 inch diameter.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com