PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DYNO

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Chuck H

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Post by Chuck H »

When I bought my NC back in 2012, I figured I was keeping it at least 10 years, if not more, and basically driving it into the ground. I'd have a much easier time sticking with my plan if you guys would stop developing so much good stuff for the ND and telling everyone how great it is. It's getting tougher and tougher to resist temptation to trade mine in while it's still low mileage and probably holding decent residual value.

It's just not fair when a normally aspirated ND with a long tube header and tune basically makes the same power as a 2.5-swapped NC or a 2.0 with the ESC. And it's a few hundred pounds lighter to boot. 8)
2019 Arctic White RF GT-S
SmartTop, coilovers
MarkL247

Post by MarkL247 »

How long before the ceramic coated shorty header is available?

Thanks
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Ceramic coated version of the standard header is about 30 days from now.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
YuMiata

Post by YuMiata »

Brian wrote:Pictures of our new ND Longtube and Midpipe Combo.
Hey Brian... do you have the weights for the short tube, long tube and mid-pipes (both versions)?

I think the long tube was once quoted at 10 pounds (don't quote me on that), but its been through a few revisions since then, so I'm sure that's changed :wink:
Last edited by YuMiata on Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Not clear to me where that 10 pounds came from, 14 pounds is what the prototype weighs compared to 12.7 for stock header if my memory serves me. Longtube is about double the length of stock header and much more pipe so that result should be no surprise. Midpipe that goes with it needs to get on the scale in final form (several extra welds on prototype header and midpipe that are eliminated by mandrel bends in production units) but I recollect rough prototype about 17 pounds, compared to 15 for stock. Thus, I expect overall the production longtube with midpipe has no weight savings over stock header with stock midpipe, but remember we used massive 5 inch resonator in the midpipe here to allow for much less muffler at the back, reducing overall system weight and centralizing the weight (giving the racers a lower polar moment). Thanks to that design choice I drive mine around town with our RoadsterSport Race and love it, which is 11 pounds compared to stock 21 pound muffler. Thus, as installed on my car the complete longtube, midpipe, and Race muffler are saving me about 6 pounds compared to stock system...and I have over 50 extra HP, over 50 extra ft/lbs torque. As suggested above, going all mandrel bends instead of several extra welds on my prototype pieces will likely add another pound or so of savings.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
YuMiata

Post by YuMiata »

Brian wrote:Thus, as installed on my car the complete longtube, midpipe, and Race muffler are saving me about 6 pounds compared to stock system...and I have over 50 extra HP, over 50 extra ft/lbs torque.
Hey, no complaints here... you knocked it outta the park with that combo... the power/torque gains alone justify that slight extra weight!

How about the weights for the standard length header and midpipe?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Standard length is less than stock weight, midpipe about the same, but I guarantee you end up wanting much more rear muffler.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
dwa911

Post by dwa911 »

Hi Brian,

I've read through the ND forum and your website, and would like to pass on my congratulations on a very well done and informative website and forum.

I've just bought a new Sport Recaro LE ND (basically a sport nav with recaro seats, aluminum pedals and the aero bits) here in the UK (I know you don't ship to London - I'm an American and happy to have parts shipped to my US address and bring them over myself). :)

My intent is to drive to the many UK and European circuits (Spa, Nurburgring, Magny Cours, Monza, Mugello, Imola, Zandvoort, Zolder, Silverstone, Brands Hatch, Snetterton, Donnington, etc.), do aggressive track days and drive home. I'll do some occasional touring trips through the UK (rough roads) and Europe (smooth to rough roads).

I used to live in LA and street drove and raced a 1973 Porsche 911 RS (a real one - crazy I know) in ITGT SCCA (San Diego and LA Regional Champion) back in the mid 90s [yes, I'm an old guy now at 51, old 911s were cheap then, and remember competing in the Buttonwillow inaugural race - still hold the lap record for 13 CCW (http://www.calclub.com/html/html2/archi ... w13ccw.htm), and Holtville holds a very special place in my heart], driving it to the track, racing and driving home again with the sport exhaust or straight pipes depending on the event. I currently have a March Sports 2000 for vintage racing and recently gave up a Ferrari F430 to get the ND to focus on something more lightweight and that my wife and I can do track days with at more sane speeds, lower overall consumable costs, and even more fun!

With that said, as I have limited (no) experience with the MX-5 ND, can you give me your best recommendation for the right components/spec/rates to add? Fyi... I'm typically late and hard on the brakes and trail brake quite often, while my wife has a few track days at Spa and Silverstone in a BMW 335i and a Caterham Academy Car and at the Ring in a BMW 335i and a Clio Cup car, but is still just starting out... I've followed the build on the 'race/blue' and 'street/red' cars, and find I just can't sort out which way to go to accommodate both our driving levels and the intended purpose...

My initial thought is to go for everything you've done to the blue/race car with the exception of 17x8 6ULs with 215s vs the 17x9s with 235s. I'm curious as to your thoughts on the right set of upgrades, and also the best spring rates for the Ohlins for tracks like Spa (very smooth, with a massive compression through Eau Rouge), the Ring (also pretty smooth, but with undulations, and a couple of airborne moments) and other circuits where apexing and exiting over the curbs is the norm. I've noted you are trying rates in between what is offered on your site (8 front and 5 rear), and thought that may be the way to go. I'm also curious as to your thoughts on upgraded rear calipers (I believe I read these are coming) and for best dual purpose pads for driving to and on high speed circuits like Spa, Monza and Silverstone.

I appreciate the help and advice you can give, and keep up the great work.

Cheers!

David
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I miss Holtville...even with the cheese grader tire killing surface.

As for setup, indeed following our ND Blue car is likely the way to go. For smooth tracks you could certainly do better than what we run here for rough old surfaces we have in the USA, at least 10/5 with Ohlins Race for Spa, and you could do 12/6. How much ride quality does it need for daily driving? Assuming it will be daily driver then perhaps just start with the 10/5 or even the 10/4 that is standard for the Ohlins kits being sold in Europe....and consider sways if that does not get you enough in the turns. Not sure I understand your plan on tires but indeed 17x9 is our suggestion for any track use. See our upgraded roll protection, stock is not going to do much for you. You need the oil cooler.

Yes, rear brakes are coming. For those tracks I think you want our big brakes, six piston front calipers as we have done, gives great confidence under braking...which is important to me, love being able to out-brake other cars on track, sometimes late brake passing is the best Miata move on track! I use Porterfield R41 pads front and rear, it is an older design pad compound but I like that I can daily drive it and it still works for both low and high speed events (it was actually a compound designed for vintage race cars that needs high torque pads that work at relatively low temps).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
dwa911

Post by dwa911 »

Thanks Brian.

Yes. Great memories of Holtville. A lot of tires used up too! :)

The car will not really be a daily driver. Only to get to the circuits and occasionally a trip through the EU - probably on the way to other circuits. Hence the thinking of 17x8 with 215s vs. 17x9 with 235s. Thinking the stiffer 12/6 is better on the springs. I can handle a slightly rougher ride on the way to the track.

Question on exhaust... can the long tube header be combined with the roadstersport race exhaust and the regular roadstersport mid pipe vs. the big canister and convertor mid pipe? Noise doesn't bother me too much. The F430 and 911RS with sport exhausts were fairly noisy. If so, do you think it would pass 98db (Goodwood) or 101db (most other UK & EU circuits) noise limits?

Again, many thanks and keep up the great work!

D

Cheers
D