PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DYNO

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
NathanD277

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Post by NathanD277 »

That's a nice bump in the 2000-3000RPM range. It cleaned up that bad torque dip very well.
2017 Meteor Gray Club
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

ABQautoxer wrote:I only made 162whp on Shiv's OFH which is why I dumped it for the LTH, which made 159whp but more torque. You get hammered for the results and then treatment follow said results.
Thanks for post, but what I do not understand is why Shiv gets a pass despite fact nobody getting his results and he actually owns and runs the ONLY dyno making 176 for his header? I do not have that same conflict of interest, we do not own or run any dyno we have used for any result we have posted. In fact, after some folks wanted our LTH tested on Dynojet, despite fact all local locations for that brand have gone out of business, I said okay.....will do, and we did. Also had some folks claim our car was somehow a unicorn and tests on dynojet should be on a different ND, and I again said okay, will do. So we installed original spec longtube on Orange Virus Mat's ND and he took it to Dynojet location in Santee, California and he got 177hp for 91 octane for original spec on his ND, which I bet with updated spec would be over 180hp. So I was not involved in even getting the car to that dyno or running it on that dyno, or tune, or anything other than supplying the part and that result was just 3hp off the 180hp we repeated on the Dyno Dynamics brand dyno which became the basis of what has been in the product description for every sale. So, though I know that is just two ND to date with results in that range, I was not involved in touching the dyno, or the tunes, or the car..... for either set of results.

What I know from some with both updated longtube and Shiv's header is that they can now beat the peaky hp of Shiv's header in addition to the much fatter torque curve everywhere. I hope to see some of those folks post those results soon. I will also add that Ron Bauer did 166hp peak hp using our SHORTY 4-2-1 on Dynojet (again compares well with our product description 168hp on DynoDynamics brand printout). And that result for shorty by Ron so far beats ANY results not coming from supplier of headers like us or Shiv. With that in mind, and customer satisfaction always a high priority, we will offer any owner of longtube the option to swap to our Shorty 4-2-1 and get a refund of the difference in cost if they want. Will Shiv give any customer any choices when they cannot reach 176hp on a Dynojet? I do not want folks to kid themselves, trade from long 4-2-1 to short 4-2-1 is a trade DOWN in total area under the curve, and I suggest area under the torque curve should be the priority for all since that is what actually gets the car down the road, but our shorty 4-2-1 setup is about half the price so I expect that tradeoff is going to be attractive for some because there are diminishing returns for each additional dollar spent to push that curve higher and higher and perhaps the shorty 4-2-1 is just the right sweet spot for many and best currently proven with results totally independent of any vendor....at least until we get some more results from owners of BOTH Shiv's header and our revised longtube which I know are in motion as I type this post.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ABQautoxer

Post by ABQautoxer »

FWIW, Shiv borrows his dynos like you do. He does not own one. There is often a variance between dynojets especially depending on conditions so getting 5whp "extra" is doable in ideal conditions, so while I know I won't match his results like I didn't match your's, I always concede a healthy "realistic expectations gap" from vendor claim to what I get. Unfortunately so far no header has done that for me yet. Let's not speculate why yet, I have more dyno tuning coming up next week to see how the shorty compares to the OFH and LTH. I'd be overjoyed to have Ron's results.

But that doesn't change the fact that typically no one is making over 170whp on any header on a dynojet that isn't selling something.I don't think you or Shiv (or any other vendors) are liars, exagerraters, etc. See my reasons in the previous paragraph even before you factor in minor car and tuner variances.

I think the real world is we are in that ball park and you pick the header that suits your price point and power curve.
2016 Club
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

ABQautoxer wrote:FWIW, Shiv borrows his dynos like you do. He does not own one. There is often a variance between dynojets especially depending on conditions so getting 5whp "extra" is doable in ideal conditions, so while I know I won't match his results like I didn't match your's, I always concede a healthy "realistic expectations gap" from vendor claim to what I get. Unfortunately so far no header has done that for me yet. Let's not speculate why yet, I have more dyno tuning coming up next week to see how the shorty compares to the OFH and LTH. I'd be overjoyed to have Ron's results.

But that doesn't change the fact that typically no one is making over 170whp on any header on a dynojet that isn't selling something.I don't think you or Shiv (or any other vendors) are liars, exagerraters, etc. See my reasons in the previous paragraph even before you factor in minor car and tuner variances.

I think the real world is we are in that ball park and you pick the header that suits your price point and power curve.
Ah, thanks for helping me there, my mistake in thinking that is his dyno. Well stated...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Our ND setting the top scratch times yesterday at last SCCA event of the year here on Ohlins and our Progress Sways. Easily within our sound limits yesterday. Sound limits here are 93 db at 50 ft and well below that here with Longtube Header setup, latest version of midpipe and resonator and 400 CPI cat, and SuperStreet muffler at the back.

Watch this ND go!

As one indicator of the Gs we are making now, watch the side to side flex you see in the back of the stock seat. :eek:

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Our Project RF is coming....
Attachments
RFStatus.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

It's "at the port", and will take only THREE MORE MONTHS to deliver? Wow. Just wow. :(
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

jboemler wrote:It's "at the port", and will take only THREE MORE MONTHS to deliver? Wow. Just wow. :(
Yeah, I noticed they still have that March bit there, hopefully just covering their backsides in case of port labor strike, another RORO flips over, whatever!
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

So you're really figuring to get it shortly? Is that part of a special shipment, or are they really starting to deliver these to us peons?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Seems crazy that if car is in port they will make us wait until March, though I would not be shocked if they made us wait until the New Year. I am cautiously optimistic we are driving it by next week.

UPDATE....GOT our RF. Already lowered it, added 6UL wheels, started NEW THREAD FOR RF in this same forum.
Attachments
RF-TungstenPOPHDR.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com