PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DYNO

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
DanielS172

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Post by DanielS172 »

This really makes me wish I had an ND :D
2014 Club | OEM hardtop | GWR HH mid, FM muffler | ZetaCRD | Wilwood LBBK | Blackbird Fabworx GT3 roll bar | TRMotorsports FF10s
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

Whatever happened to the "we have to wait until the last year of production to get CARB approval" line? Seems like the NC requirements just don't apply to the ND somehow. :roll:
awales74

Post by awales74 »

I so want this SC.

I hear it is fully contained. I assume this is the unit is bolted on, the belts are reworked, rework the airflow to and from unit, and then change out the fuel injectors. What else has to be done to get this thing to work?

Can boost about 70bhp.

Comes with big 100k mile warranty. 50 state emissions.
AndrewD459

Post by AndrewD459 »

Hi Brian. Wondering if you are still trialling the Bilstein B8/Roadstersport Spring combination? If so, what are your thoughts.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

It works. What I like is that high speed damping is great, the Bilsteins are firm over minor road imperfections and yet very comfortable over the bigger potholes, etc. You see a serious pothole ahead and do not have time to swerve around it and think it is going to be brutal...but then the Bilsteins just soak it up without drama.

On the other hand, if I am bothering to put in all the time and money for install, most shops about $100 per corner before alignment costs, then I still think I would buy the KONI SPORT shock for more control over the results. As the KONI age you can slowly crank up the damping, with the Bilstein or any other non-adjustable shock you get what you get and cannot adjust as time marches forward. Thus, my choice would always be the adjustable shock so I can compensate over time for wear and have fine control over balance front to rear, etc. But for those not inclined to use the adjustment feature, or their driveway angle would not allow the extra half inch of lowering included with the KONI, then the Bilstein's slightly shorter shock body (for more travel with lowering springs) and more aggressive damping is well matched for lowering springs...which is exactly why they built these shocks. I expect they will do well over time just as our similar Bilstein choice has on NC gen Miata.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
BillK336

Post by BillK336 »

But are the B8's, or B9's for that matter, much different form the OEM Club Bilsteins?
And, if used with RoadsterSport springs, would the B8's use the stock or short bumpstops?
2020 JBM Sport MT, GWR RaceTT, Conti DWS, Cobalt FSTB, Voodoo, Cravenspeed, and mx5things bits…
RIP '16 MG Club GWR, Race TT, Versatune, RS Springs & Konis, Conti ECS, TRM FF10, AA & AIO, etc...
'97's SOLD...
BillK336

Post by BillK336 »

^^^ Sorry, that SHOULD have been:
But are the B6's, or B8's for that matter, much different form the OEM Club Bilsteins?
And, if used with RoadsterSport or Progress (ST) springs, would the B8's use the stock or short bumpstops?
2020 JBM Sport MT, GWR RaceTT, Conti DWS, Cobalt FSTB, Voodoo, Cravenspeed, and mx5things bits…
RIP '16 MG Club GWR, Race TT, Versatune, RS Springs & Konis, Conti ECS, TRM FF10, AA & AIO, etc...
'97's SOLD...
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The high speed damping is where I feel the difference over the stock Club Bilsteins, which we tested when first developing our springs. You could use stock bumpstops and that would still give you extra half inch of travel but I prefer our short stops which gives a good extra inch of travel with B8/Short stops compared to stock Club Bilsteins and stock stops (I like more free travel before stops which helps the car soak up more road surface chatter without transfer of that chatter through the stops).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
BillK336

Post by BillK336 »

So now I'm leaning toward B8's with RS springs and bumpstops as a touring solution, instead of Konis, stock springs, and Progress sways. Wouldnt have to worry about jackdown on those winery roads...
'97's SOLD...
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Great day of fun with Grassroots MotorSports Magazine and our Fiat and ND Miata on track at Willow Springs Raceway. Fair fight with same tires, wheels, suspension, etc. Article coming in future issue with details.
Attachments
FiataMiata4.jpg
FiataMiata4.jpg (84.74 KiB) Viewed 9126 times
FiatBigBrake.jpg
FiatBigBrake.jpg (78.52 KiB) Viewed 9126 times
NDMiataFiata.jpg
NDMiataFiata.jpg (69.8 KiB) Viewed 9126 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com