PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DYNO

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
awales74

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Post by awales74 »

When did you add the big fin? And when you venting the hood?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Wing and front splitter added in prep for Time Attack event in 3 weeks, and SCCA SSM next season.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NathanD277

Post by NathanD277 »

Something a little different to see the progress of the ND platform. I grew up drag racing, and old habits die hard. Sometimes, I just have to find a straightaway to exercise my demons.

Thanks to GWR’s exhaust, OVT’s tuning, and E85, 13s in the 1/4 are possible in an ND with bolt-ons. In mineshaft air, I was able to knock .3 off my previous best, as well as crack a 100MPH trap speed. With colder temps comes less traction though. The car has at least .2 more in it in these conditions with more practice on the launch. Straight line from a dig isn’t my priority, so I only do this once in a while so as not to tempt the fate of the transmission.

My backup run going the opposite direction on the road was the 14.01. I had a better launch, but my shift to third was off. That may have been a 13.8 run.

ImageImageImage

Here’s a video of a run right after I finished my timed ones to show the way that I’m driving. I’m not beating the car to death, so it shows that there’s more to be had. My video run isn’t as clean as the timed ones because I’m trying to hold the camera steady, watch the tach through the phone, and keep it between the ditches.

https://youtu.be/WM2WWTuwW-8
2017 Meteor Gray Club
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Very cool stuff Nathan, thanks for sharing!

Your video setup for autoplay within the forum software:

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Good News for those with Supercharger Tuner kits who already bought Ecutek kit before they went Supercharged. For customers who already own Ecutek setup, they can now get the Edelbrock CARB calibration FREE.

Just email Dongle ID to ecmcalibration@edelbrock.com
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

First three day event with the Edelbrock Supercharger we smoked the FM BBR turbo guys at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca...and yet we are now going turbo with this project. Why? Lots of numbers, lots of data, and it all 'boils' down to our consistently updating understanding that track use and boost on the ND equals serious challenges for heat control. Our first SCCA Autocross win with the Supercharger kit further underscored this result (see our notes above). Finally, and this is the BIGGEST factor, we have two installs of this supercharger and we really only need one to continue development of the supercharger kit.

So, with that in mind we are going to work on further development of the Edelbrock kit in our RF install with an eye toward more and more improvements for heat control including testing use of two intercooler pumps (we run 2 in our Supercharged 2007 with solid results), and more cooling from an E85 tune, an intake, and perhaps an upgrade of the heat exchanger in the nose to go even bigger (despite fact the ND unit is much thicker than what was in the NC Supercharger kit by same Engineer). At the same time we want to beat the turbo guys at their own game by showing how it can be done better. Looked at the BBR kit but intercooler is just too small for track use and we suspect that's a big part of why we smoked them at Laguna despite similar dyno numbers (heat soak was killing their power far more than it was ours). For track use we will likely work on bigger heat exchanger for the Edelbrock kit, but in the meantime we looked around at ALL the current ND boost kits for the most massive heat exchanging setup and the decision is between the TurboSource kit and AVO Turbo kit (the BBR is about half the size and mass of either of these other two choices, the AVO is a hair bigger and more massive than TurboSource but Turbosource using big advantageous EFR turbo). Then we add that AVO has started working on CARB version of the AVO Turbo kit and showed version of the kit with converter in stock location at SEMA last week, and our retail on AVO kit is very similar to our Supercharger kit at $4839....and our choice became obvious: AVO.

All that 'boils' down to what we now call our COOL BOOST Project. We are matching the most massive intercooler with a massive custom Setrab oil cooler and custom ducting to keep flow tight and directed and the new CarbonMiata grille that is open everywhere (stock grille only open on the bottom), and cutting the hood for new Singular Hood Vents being developed on this ND, much like our Singular hood vent kits for prior Miata generations. Proper hood vents in low pressure zone of the hood help suck more air through our several coolers.

1105170736a.jpg
1105170737.jpg
New Carbon Miata grille open everywhere for flow except a few little blocks that need mount tabs behind. Grille is not normally back lit and you won't notice those few diamonds that are not open after install.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NathanD277

Post by NathanD277 »

Like I said, always tinkering. That grille looks good, and I’m sure it’s much more effective.
2017 Meteor Gray Club
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Back side view of install of Carbon Miata Grille. Once nose is off there are several places the stock grille must be cut for removal and after that the process is easy and uses the existing tab connections.
Attachments
GB.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

More on the Grille Install. Maker says it can be installed without any cutting and that is accurate...but there is something more to consider.
GrilleInstall.jpg
Red circles show where plastic straps attach back of OEM grille to the larger plastic area of the bumper assembly that supports underside of the front bumper nose skin. Blue circles show a few of the tabs that attach the new grille. Though it is tempting to believe from my first pic that stock grille was attached entirely by the tabs, that conclusion is not accurate. CLICK the image to have it fill your screen in high def.

Next pic shows six silver colored screw heads that can be removed so that OEM grille is removed with no cutting...except that also means you have pulled support for the nose skin. We decided not to go that direction because it leaves nose unsupported. So...choice to cut and keep support or no cut but leave lack of support.
1106171509_HDR.jpg
Here is the close up of the triangulated support of the nose skin that is removed by the 'not cutting' install. Our view is that the better choice is cut the plastic straps that attach the OEM grille to this support section and leave this support in place. Otherwise if you lean hard enough on nose after install you might deform it.
NoseSupport.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Time Attack Aero!
Attachments
1107171412_HDR.jpg
1107171422_HDR.jpg