PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DYNO

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Post by Brian »

Morning of Dyno Fun to figure out the 'happy' settings for the AEM boost control with AVO Turbo. Almost the first ND over 300 Ft/LBs....best run at 298 Ft/lbs. Torque is still a new record if memory serves me, our friends at TurboSource with big EFR turbo make another 30 peak hp (though comparison between different brands of dyno makes that conclusion a little fuzzy at best). Spread of results because we slowly raised the boost level in small increments to watch the results climb. If you are looking for the AVO Turbo Kit curves shown in the DSport magazine review of this kit, or what FM gets with BBR turbo, you can find it here at the lowest boost settings (low pinkish HP & TQ lines). But more interesting is what happens as we raise the boost with AEM boost controller, notice that peak HP doesn't change much, a function of the fast spooling small turbo and very tight skyactiv head flow at the upper end, but changing boost has a big impact on torque out of the hole.
TurboDyno2.jpg
Final settings best and lowest result at about 11.5 psi, letting it cool a bit so oil drops under 200F got the best result, the lower run is with oil at 210 F. That cooler run is 293 ft/lbs Torque, 218 HP. We are using prototype ACT upgraded clutch to hold this much torque. This is stock head, 100 octane. At some point will go back to our high flow head because we know from experience with the supercharger that the higher flowing head will bump the upper end and shift torque curve to the right, but would like to get E85 results with stock head first.
TurboDyno3.jpg
TurboDynoA.jpg
Hmm...where I have seen torque curves that look like this? The answer is some turbo diesels and Mazda's dyno graphs of next gen Skyactiv X. Current Skyactiv is essentially an application of mild diesel tech to a high compression gas motor. The next gen Skyactiv X is even more like a turbo diesel, with compression ignition much of the running time and a small supercharger. Here is Mazda's 91 RON dyno of next gen supercharged Skyactiv X torque, notice torque curve amazingly similar in shape to what we are getting with the AVO Turbo at higher boost settings, complete with early rpm torque peak that drops off as rpms climb, etc. Result is big fun pulling away from stop lights and for Autocross starts!
SkyactivX.png
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Smaller pixel version for linking
Attachments
TurboNDss.png
TurboNDs.png
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Another autocross testing day. BMW Club today, long course, easily 1.5 times length of our usual SCCA course. Combine extra long course and lots of torque and result was both Sean and I were melting the tires off the car before we could finish a run, the 225mm wide Hoosier tires just not near enough now that we have so much torque. So, tonight working on more roll and pull to get 245/40 Hoosiers under the car. Got em fit in the back with good roll and pull, front is going to take more work. For the many running STR with 245/40 Rivals the 245/40 Hoosier might sound like no big deal except the Hoosier is quite a bit wider in reality than the 200 TW STR tires, may need offset bushings in the front along with more roll/pull to get them installed right. Likely this car goes flares soon.
Attachments
TurboNDA.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Brian wrote:Working on the turbo. Figuring out gauge setup for our three AEM gauges, AFR, Boost Controller, Oil Temp. Testing Map with higher boost levels using the boost controller. Back to the dyno soon. Progress is being made, it spun the tires in 2nd gear yesterday during data collection, Rival 245/40 laying long black lines from about 25mph is fun!

One thing I really like about having the AEM Boost controller in the driver's space is that I can now change boost settings on the fly. I can turn it 'off' and we have stock boost. I can turn it on and have "a" level boost or "b" level boost. We have the "b" as the higher setting at 11.5 PSI. As we continue to test oil cooler position in the car this adjustable on the fly boost level is very convenient, and I can imagine track days where we crank it in the cooler morning runs and dial it back as the day heats up, etc.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

As we have raised boost our need for more and more oil cooling has become more apparent. The Mishimoto oil cooler worked quite well for normal aspiration but proved not enough once we were racing boosted with supercharger and now the turbo. Thus, we have been working on even more OIL COOLING for our boosted ND. We have mounted this big Setrab unit in several locations, finding the most efficient location. Likely this becomes a kit we eventually make available for other boosted customers.
Attachments
ND-coolerOil.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JustinH025

Post by JustinH025 »

Did I miss where you said the name of that color? I have another car I would like to get wrapped in that blue. Thanks
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

JustinH025 wrote:Did I miss where you said the name of that color? I have another car I would like to get wrapped in that blue. Thanks
It is Avery Bight Blue Metallic
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Start of SCCA Autocross Season...and First Event in SSM

Got the win today, but not a particularly strong showing, almost neck and neck with STR times. Last event in our Supercharged NC we were 2 seconds clear of guys we trailed today in fastest WRX. Why? Tons of torque hits early, Turbo feels a bit sloppy, and not near enough tire. Car wags like a hooked bass coming off the corners on 225mm wide Hoosiers that fit in current fenders, we need flares...and we need them now. Add that I am coming off being sick, still on meds today that made me feel a little 'off' my marks, car could have done at least another second faster....looking forward to next time.

The good news is offset bushings allowed new much more aggressive alignment that felt good today, car turned-in well and I need to learn the feel of the new setup.

Front Camber -3.3
Caster +6
Toe 1/16out
Rear Camber -2.8
Toe 0
Attachments
ND-SSM.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Chuck H

Post by Chuck H »

Is it possible to fit any of the really wide 15" 6ULs on the car, or does that require switching to way under-sized brakes? Seems like a 15x10 or 15x11 would let you run a ton of rubber under there, assuming that you can actually slow down for corners, too.
Brian wrote:Start of SCCA Autocross Season...and First Event in SSM

Got the win today, but not a particularly strong showing, almost neck and neck with STR times. Last event in our Supercharged NC we were 2 seconds clear of guys we trailed today in fastest WRX. Why? Tons of torque hits early, Turbo feels a bit sloppy, and not near enough tire. Car wags like a hooked bass coming off the corners on 225mm wide Hoosiers that fit in current fenders, we need flares...and we need them now. Add that I am coming off being sick, still on meds today that made me feel a little 'off' my marks, car could have done at least another second faster....looking forward to next time.

The good news is offset bushings allowed new much more aggressive alignment that felt good today, car turned-in well and I need to learn the feel of the new setup.

Front Camber -3.3
Caster +6
Toe 1/16out
Rear Camber -2.8
Toe 0
2019 Arctic White RF GT-S
SmartTop, coilovers
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Ron Bauer has fit flares and 15x11...but small brakes required.

We got track days where the big brakes are sure nice to have, so likely need to go custom 17x10....unfortunately. It is that or 17x10 6UL with conversion from 4 lug to 5 lug adding a few more pounds per corner.
Attachments
Bauer.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com