PROJECT FIAT 124, Testing, Measurements, Dyno, etc

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: PROJECT FIAT 124, Testing, Measurements, Dyno, etc

Post by Brian »

Winner, Winner!

Yes, big highflow cat in testing.

It's going to be a while before there is more on it.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Time to add our custom plates...

The vintage black plates felt like the right choice....and I love it.
Attachments
FiatPlates.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
VinceG310

Post by VinceG310 »

If the Eurocompulsion piggy back has been removed, what are you running now for a tune?
Socalsean

Post by Socalsean »

VinceG310 wrote:If the Eurocompulsion piggy back has been removed, what are you running now for a tune?
I'm new to the 124 Community but not to Fiat. I just bought a 124 Abarth and have a fully Modded 500 Abarth that I will be selling and/or Parting out and selling. I will be moving a few of my Mods from the 500 over to the 124 in a few weeks. Most importantly, I will be loading my EC Euro+Drive OBD flash tune. At this point I can run Phase 1 on the sport mode and will run the stock sport mode MAP on non sport, Phase 2 will be coming soon. I have goodies on the way from the guys here at Goodwin and a few others I've been working with the last 3 years in the Fiat Community. I was really glad to find you guys since I'm just a few hours up the coast. Once I get the suspension, exhaust, 4C Coil Packs, Forge Atmospheric BOV, Turbosmart WG, and E+D installed I'll make a trip down to let you guys at Goodwin check her out.

One note: this is an Automatic (sorry boys) I brought this one for both my wife and I to drive and she hates driving a manual. I must say I really like the Trans and it will get better once the tune is installed. I really didn't want to buy another fun car to drive just for myself... Stay tuned though I've been known to buy two when I really like the car lol.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Socalsean wrote:
VinceG310 wrote:If the Eurocompulsion piggy back has been removed, what are you running now for a tune?
I'm new to the 124 Community but not to Fiat. I just bought a 124 Abarth and have a fully Modded 500 Abarth that I will be selling and/or Parting out and selling. I will be moving a few of my Mods from the 500 over to the 124 in a few weeks. Most importantly, I will be loading my EC Euro+Drive OBD flash tune. At this point I can run Phase 1 on the sport mode and will run the stock sport mode MAP on non sport, Phase 2 will be coming soon. I have goodies on the way from the guys here at Goodwin and a few others I've been working with the last 3 years in the Fiat Community. I was really glad to find you guys since I'm just a few hours up the coast. Once I get the suspension, exhaust, 4C Coil Packs, Forge Atmospheric BOV, Turbosmart WG, and E+D installed I'll make a trip down to let you guys at Goodwin check her out.

One note: this is an Automatic (sorry boys) I brought this one for both my wife and I to drive and she hates driving a manual. I must say I really like the Trans and it will get better once the tune is installed. I really didn't want to buy another fun car to drive just for myself... Stay tuned though I've been known to buy two when I really like the car lol.
Welcome and thanks for the post, let us know how the mods go with the Fiat 124. If there are any questions we can help with, let us know.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
PaulC466

Post by PaulC466 »

Brian wrote:Winner, Winner!

Yes, big highflow cat in testing.

It's going to be a while before there is more on it.
patiently waiting... :|
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

On the dyno yesterday with it....

Dyno Update for Project Fiat 124.

Good results! Highest line is with Madness Piggyback and prototype highflow cat added to our car with our three piece exhaust system. Lowest line is stock, middle line was our three piece exhaust system currently on our site (Crosspipe, Midpipe, Muffler Delete). There is some shift to the right of the power curve as result of the highflow cat but the much greater upper end makes that shift well worth it, the car is not exactly fun below 3k anyway. We tried the piggyback in all settings and removed from the system, as expected the 'Sport Plus' makes the most power and it adds a good 10+hp just about everywhere in the upper end. Also note the car is still running RICH at this stage, about 11.5 AFR. That AFR not going to hurt anything, that's a very safe AFR, but it also means there is still power on the table. I would like to see AFR of 12 under full boost. The Madness guys tell us we should have their best intake here in about a week, will test again and hopefully result leans out just enough to get us to about 12 AFR on 91 pump gas.
Attachments
FiatDynoCatPiggy.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jpwfz6

Post by jpwfz6 »

Thanks for the update on the project Brian.
Hopefully you can extract a few more HP with improvements to the AFR.

Can you confirm that these posted results were with the stock intake in place?

BTW, ran into Tim ( new owner of your 2012 PRHT SS) in a Lake Tahoe parking lot last week. Had a quick chat. Looks like he is taking good care of it and really enjoying racking up the miles.
Jason
Victoria, BC Canada
:( Sold: 2006 Winning Blue, 2.5L, Progress springs, KYB shocks, Michelin PSS, Full GWR street exhaust.
:D Current: 2017 Fiat 124 Abarth, Rosso red, M/T, Progress springs, Wilwood BBK, Full GWR exhaust
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Intake is still stock box with K&N filter....
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Great weekend of Fiata vs Miata Battle at Willow Springs Raceway!

It is shaping up to be an epic battle between these cars, they share the strength of a great chassis and yet each flavor has strengths and weaknesses. Ryan Passey and I took turns with each car and matched times in the Fiat which was just a tick ahead of the Miata on this day, but the tires on the Fiat were more fresh...the one flaw in our testing on this day which was more about making sure the cars are each well balanced and ready for Grassroots MotorSports Magazine to do a shootout on fresh Rival 1.5 tires in two weeks!

Cars were otherwise as identical as we could make them. Our Ohlins coilovers with springs rates 9kg front, 5kg rear on both, our Progress Sway bars on both, our 17x9 6UL wheels on both, Rival S 245/40 tires on both. Each car sporting our full exhaust systems. Fiat has our highflow 2.5 inch Crosspipe and Midpipe, muffler delete....plus prototype highflow converter. Miata has our longtube race header and one of our 2.5 inch highflow mufflers. Heights are the same, alignments are the same, etc. Miata has a tuned ECU, Fiat has Madness piggyback. Same Blackbird upgraded roll protection in each, same Good-Win decals (good for 5hp. :wink: )

Despite the extraordinary efforts to match the setups.... the feel is still very different, and not talking about just the motors. The extra half a foot of length beyond the wheelbase front and rear of the Fiat and the extra weight of the fiat in the nose means the polar moment is not as low...and you feel the difference when you jump from seat of one to the other. The Miata's lower polar moment helps it feel sharper and more precise, more compact, smaller, and more nimble. By comparison the Fiat feels much bigger and a little ponderous. But the corner exit torque of the Fiat's turbo motor was also obvious and very helpful for getting extra rotation on corner entry. Two weeks to wait for the shootout on equal tires!
MiataFiat.jpg
Chase2.jpg

On Track Pics Courtesy CaliPhotography. Skidpad pic by Brian Goodwin
Attachments
MiataFiatChallenge.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com