PROJECT FIAT 124, Testing, Measurements, Dyno, etc

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: PROJECT FIAT 124, Testing, Measurements, Dyno, etc

Post by Brian »

0221181111_HDR.jpg

We got the Fiat 124 project out for Dyno time.... with Shiv's OFT (Open Flash Tablet) Reflash! First, a word about Dynos. A dyno is merely a tool for before/after testing. Difficult to impossible to compare peak numbers on one brand of dyno to another brand of dyno. Moreover we know there are some vendors out there telling you that they can get you over 40 hp with some plug and play piggyback or reflash, and perhaps there is even a special Unicorn Farts brand of dyno that you will likely never find that supports their results....but our bet is that customers will never be able to repeat those results. We want to give you results you can repeat on any four wheel dyno.

We bought the top brands of piggyback that were available and tested them on two wheel dyno....AND four wheel dyno. The Madness shop makes no claims for particular numbers that we have seen yet won the contest of piggybacks in our testing. Lowest BLUE line in graph below was stock. Middle line was best for our three piece exhaust system of Crossover Pipe, Midpipe, Muffler Delete. Highest line with piggyback and prototype highflow cat. Tried the Madness piggyback in all modes and removed from the car, then put back on car, as expected the 'SPORT PLUS' gets the best result and that result is another 10+HP.
Fiatdynolocal.png
Fiatdynolocal.png (654.93 KiB) Viewed 6449 times
Now for dyno of the reflash. Different dyno....much more conservative dyno! Lowest line in dyno below is the winning combo from above, the most successful of the piggybacks that we could buy, from Madness, again in Sport Mode with full exhaust system. We did all the modes again on this four wheel Mustang dyno and repeated the same results we got on the two wheel dyno, which is to say the Sport+ mode got us best results and those results were consist 10+ hp gains over stock calibration...and then we left just that best result on the screen as our new 'baseline' from which to test the reflash against the best of the piggybacks.

So, again the low line below is not stock calibration, that low line is best with full exhaust system and Madness Piggyback. This particular four wheel dyno is a Mustang dyno, well known in the industry as the 'Heart Breaker' because it reads lower than just about every other dyno. We really don't care if it reads low because remember what we are looking for is the delta, the difference between the reflash over the best results with piggybacks that we tested. Given that this is the MOST CONSERVATIVE dyno, we are confident that customers will get at least as good as our results and likely better on any other brand of four wheel dyno. Results for reflash are peak HP up another 9hp, torque up another 10 points (more delta if you look off the peaks). Though our testing of EC's piggyback failed to confirm their claimed gains, their claims that a four wheel dyno gives much more consistency did get some support in our testing and only on the four wheel dynos did the dash not light up with warning lights, etc.

FiatDynoReflashShivs.jpg
Note operator above had not changed the gear calc to finalize the result with correct crossing of torque and hp curves, doesn't change results... but final below with correct crossing points.
ReflashDyno3.jpg

Finally, Shiv as the Tuner of OFT is not local to us, so he visited a DIFFERENT LOCATION with another four wheel Mustang Dyno and he ran a test of his reflash and he posted the results below. If you are keeping track of the math recall that we got about 10 hp for best piggyback real world at the wheels on our local dyno over stock factory Fiat calibration, and we repeated that same gain on Mustang Four wheel dyno, and then used that as baseline to test the reflash on the four wheel dyno and got about another 10 or so gain for a total gain of about 20 hp over stock calibration on a Fiat 124 that already has gains from full exhaust system. So, for consistency looking for Shiv to gain roughly 20hp over stock calibration...and that's what he got. What I like about results below is how well it backs up our gains we got for Shiv's reflash on the other Mustang Dyno noted above.
FiatDynoShivD.jpg
Attachments
dyno4s.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

New 17x8 Ampliform on our Fiat 124....

Graphite above, Bronze below.
Attachments
AmpliformFiatG1.jpg
FG2.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Wow, the BIG price increase from Ohlins did sneak up on us....March 15th new price will be $300 more on Ohlins that we use on ALL our fastest toys here.

I am sorry I have not been ringing the bell for weeks on this, our MAP on this goes up the 15th and Ohlins is very strict about it....so these are the last days before $300 increase in the best coilovers a Fiat 124 owner can buy. Ohlins is factory standard equipment on hypercars from Pagani Huayra, Koenigsegg, etc. Ohlins has been the choice of champions for decades, they never sponsor because the best don't need to, so even Champs like Juan Montoya had to buy his sets.

A little back history. I loved Ohlins from my days racing motorcycles. When I bought my first Miata I called Ohlins asking them to make an Ohlins setup for Miata, got a lot of laughs in reply. I explained that we had MANY Miata race customers who were retired Pro Racers, guys who already understood Ohlins and would put them on a Miata if the application was available. From the days the Miata first came to market and became an instant weekend racer top pick, guys have retired to the Miata from Nascar, MotoGP, Indy Lights, Formula Atlantic, IMSA, and on and on. Old Racers never die...they just buy a Miata and keep having fun on the weekends at SCCA and NASA events! I finally convinced Ohlins to give it a shot, that was many years ago and now they love the Miata plaform and take this application very seriously. And now the Miata platform lives under the Fiat 124 too. Anybody local to our San Diego location wanting a fast yet smooth ride call me and jump in the seat of our Fiat 124 with Ohlins! Got a few local freeway 'test' ramps we can do at three times the posted 'suggested' speed that will impress you! One of the few setups that really can go from street to track and home again, dual flow valving that opens for high speed jolts does NOT exist on any of the other choices in this price range.
Attachments
OhlinsE.jpg
OhlinsE.jpg (52.41 KiB) Viewed 6043 times
OhlinsE2.jpg
OhlinsE2.jpg (108.87 KiB) Viewed 6043 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Been a while since we had the Good-Win Racing Project Fiat 124 to an SCCA event....and with new Reflash and offset bushings added it was time to see what it could do in SSM. I didn't actually have a set of proper Hoosiers that fit the Fiat so we ran some Toyo track day scuffs, good enough for the win and 1.5 seconds clear of the fastest ND in STR. The Fiat can go!

Continue to love the Fiat responsiveness with the reflash, car is fast and consistent in a way that it NEVER was with stock calibration.

Attachments
AutocrossBRzFiat.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Shots by our own CJ from SCCA Autocross Yesterday.
Attachments
FiatAutocrossC.jpg
FiatAutocrossB.jpg
FiatAutocrossA.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Sean @ GWR

Post by Sean @ GWR »

Euro Compulsion intercooler installation in the shop for a customer. MUCH bigger than the factory intercooler and a quality core.
27035577898_62c9173d09_o.jpg
27035577848_d9bf358a20_o.jpg
LateNights

Post by LateNights »

https://www.motoring.com.au/geneva-moto ... op-111347/

Pretty sure I owe you a beer Mr.Goodwin!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

FiatH.jpg
Helmholtz Chamber experiments....
Attachments
Fiatha.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Another SCCA weekend competition in the Fiat 124, different tires this time, had some understeer and had to dial front Ohlins to full soft to get some control over that but eventually got the balance good enough for fast times.
FiatRaceReady.jpg
Still...continue to love the Fiat responsiveness with the reflash, car is fast and consistent in a way that it NEVER was with stock calibration.

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
LateNights

Post by LateNights »

Brian wrote:Helmholtz Chamber experiments....
Happy 4/20 :mrgreen:

Very interested to see how these turn out - I've been back & forth between the 124 / RF - but this may seal it for the Abarth.

((Australian spec - please tell me your distributers "down under" will be able to get a hold of these??))

You bloody legend!