New Good-Win Racing Project ND RF!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Chuck H

Re: New Good-Win Racing Project ND RF!

Post by Chuck H »

Brian wrote:Hot or Not?

My wife says 1980's calling and they want their louvers back. I say it really makes the coupe look.
I think it would work if the RF actually had a long sloping rear window, like on older Camaro or 280ZX or something. With the vertical rear window and the sails along the sides, I don't think it really works. It's almost like putting louvers on the back of a Ferrari 308.

Might help the aerodynamics, though. I'm thinking the turbulence coming off the top of an RF at speed has to be interesting, to say the least! :wink:
2019 Arctic White RF GT-S
SmartTop, coilovers
JamesK383

Post by JamesK383 »

Careful, its a very slippery slope you are heading down

jjaross

Post by jjaross »

It's just ok, I doubt Mazda would Warrenty the roof mechanism with its additional weight. Also, I guess it would deteriorate already poor side/rear vision of the RF.
How about somthing like, 1965 Shelby Mustang 1/4 window louvres or Eleanor Mustang scoop trim for the non-functional side windows?
jj
SteveB664

Post by SteveB664 »

Hi Brian,

Placed my first order for the Roadster Sport Super Street Twin Tip, it's currently in transit. I took delivery of a GT RF manual in February. I plan on following some of your recommendations used on your project ND RF. My RF is a daily driver, so I'm interested in the RF springs retaining the stock shocks and going to the 17X8UL with 235/40 and wondering if there will be any wheel interference and how the ride will be compared to stock.

Also, I'm interested in your opinion of wind noise entering the cabin with top and windows up. Seems mine has quite a bit of noise over the shoulder, but not overly excessive, especially with the music up -:)

Thank you,
Steve
Attachments
GT RF
GT RF
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Hi Steve,

Drove my wife's RF up the coast for dinner tonight and freeway home. We had roof down for the drive up, roof and windows up for the drive home. I am 6'2 and I do notice the wind noise with the targa roof down, that B pillar is pretty close to my left ear. But with top up I find the car is so much more quiet than my soft top version that I speed a lot more...because my brain keeps trying to tell me that I must be going slow, right up until I look down and see that I at 80+. So, for me the RF is more wind noise with top down than soft top, but with top up quite a bit less. It is all relative...but if you are getting a lot of wind noise with top up and windows up check the seals around the roof gaps, everything look nice and neat?

Those 6UL 17x8 wheels designed to clear...and they do clear with 235/40 tire. Ride is good. My wife's car and no complaints from the Boss!
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jjaross

Post by jjaross »

Has anyone measured the sound levels of an RF at speed with and without the clear windblocker? To my ears I think there is less wind turbulence at the "b-pillar" with it removed. I dont have a DB meter to confirm or reject this approach. Has anyone tried this?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Interesting, I have not thought to try that...but will give it a try.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Mange

Post by Mange »

Hi Brian!

I'm getting my RF next week and I'm considering installing Ohlins R/T on it. Which springrate do you recommend? I'm not going to race the car, but I want good streetperformance. Ohlins themselves suggest 10 and 5kg but 10 seems much for a streetcar doesn't it?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yep...the 10 is overkill for street driving, not clear why they came up with that, strongly suggest our standard kit with 7/4 springs for street users.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Morning California Coast Cruise in the Good-Win Racing RF. Our RF springs, Bronze 6UL wheels, RoadsterSport Exhaust.
Attachments
0325170859b_HDR~2.jpg
Bronze6UL-RF.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com