New Good-Win Racing Project ND RF!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
GilbertF809

Re: New Good-Win Racing Project ND RF!

Post by GilbertF809 »

How soon do you think before we see TQ/HP numbers post tune?? 8)
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

As soon as.....it's ready. :lol:

Car has been on the dyno since last week, lots of calibration and learning.

Already happy with results...but not letting results out of the bag until finished.

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Starting into my long distance testing today, did my first 100 mile non-stop freeway blast with the supercharger! This is the CARB install ...with CARB tune by the crew at Edelbrock. The first impression is that this version of the kit feels like the factory installed a 2.5 liter Skyactiv instead of the normal 2.0 Skyactiv. In other words, feels like a bigger motor, not like a boosted motor. It is so well integrated, so smooth, so Q-Ship....particularly with totally stock exhaust system and stock intake currently on our RF for testing purposes. I am excited to drive it soon with muffler and intake....and then header....then track days....soon! In the meantime, passing slower cars on the freeway with this totally CARB install is just a little extra flick of the gas pedal, no downshift and no pedal to the floor for passing...just about an extra inch of pedal gives you plenty of EXTRA top gear surge ahead of that slow guy in the fast lane ...with a big grin on my face. :D
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

Brian,

How would you compare it to a supercharged NC?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

halfpint wrote:Brian,

How would you compare it to a supercharged NC?
Same Engineer who led the NC kit development while at Magnuson Superchargers (they made it under contract for Cosworth initially), now at Edelbrock. So, no surprise this is in many ways an updated version of his NC kit, with much newer blower design but otherwise more similar than different. The big difference in feel is the much newer design TVS blower. When the NC kit was developed that MP62 design was already many years long in the tooth. I still have our NC with the MP62, and that now that blower feels prehistoric in comparison to the smoothness of this TVS900.

I really never felt the MP62 was rough or brash....until I drove this TVS900. That will be both good for some folks, and bad for some folks. With the MP62 you could never forget what a massive change you made to the car, from the moment you start my NC with that MP62 you can hear it, feel it, you know something big added... that blower sound and extra mechanical noise is always present. In the NC there is a constant hyper-mechanical urgency. In stark contrast...with this TVS ND install you hear NOTHING new when you start the car, you hear almost nothing extra at idle, and if you are cruising the highway at 70mph at constant throttle you don't know it is there until you use more throttle. Result is the NC setup feels more hotrod, this feels more factory big motor. But, my NC has years of extra mods that took the result from a little over 200 to over 300, so perhaps in another year and lots of mods this ND install will feel more hotrod.

So overall MUCH quieter than the NC MP62 kit, unless you add an open intake you won't hear much from the TVS from the driver's seat (you can hear it with car on the dyno and the hood open). By the way, with the MP62 the sensor section was 10mm bigger with the included replacement airbox lid and that meant you could not easily mod that intake (at least until a number of years after intro MotoEast and TDR made special intakes for that kit). With this supercharger the intake box is kept 100% stock, and you can use ANY of the ND intakes already on the market. That's one big change from the NC kit. We do not currently offer an ND intake because our testing found no gains on normally aspirated ND, we expect much different results with the blower trying to suck so much more air through the setup. So, which intake should we plug on here to test?
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NathanD277

Post by NathanD277 »

I'm partial to the Corksport. :)

Nice unit with a plastic air box instead of metal, and also very little metal in the entire system.
2017 Meteor Gray Club
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

Brian,

Thanks for the extensive feedback. Sounds perfect for what I want out of my ND RF. Looking forward to the finished product.
FredC747

Post by FredC747 »

Hi Brian,

Totally awesome Brian. Thanks for the updates.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

More on the intercooler!

Pictures of each side, one mates to the motor, the other side mates to the blower outlet. The conclusion to understand here is that this setup gives you the lowest possible throttle volume, the fastest possible response, because the air comes out of the blower and shoots STRAIGHT through the intercooler core and into your motor. Total distance from blower into your motor is just a few inches! That's part of the reason this baby feels like a bigger motor....instead of a boosted small motor. And that's why I have always preferred this type of boost making addition to all others for our mixed use of autocross and track and street fun, because nothing else delivers instant throttle response like this style of setup can.

More driving today, just city driving and playing around my favorite local turns and canyons...falling in love with this setup more and more...it's just so factory BIG motor in feel, so amazingly integrated, so smooth!

Notice the big connections that carry the fluid by included pump to big heat exchanger in the front of the car. Views of that heat exchanger and much more with unboxing video next week! :D
Attachments
IntercoolerND.jpg
NDIntercooler.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NathanD277

Post by NathanD277 »

What is the rev limit on this kit? I've considered staying NA and going cams/head, but if the cooling isn't an issue and I can get a tuner kit to compliment my header, exhaust, and CAI, I may consider this. I owned a 2003 Cobra when I was younger, which has a similar blower setup. I loved the instant throttle response of that car.
2017 Meteor Gray Club