2012 Miata Shocks and Springs

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
DannyS959

2012 Miata Shocks and Springs

Post by DannyS959 »

My MX-5 is a 2012 PRHT with 77K miles on her. It is used for touring and cruising. It will not see any track time or autocross events.
When my wife and I driving on everyday streets the rear bottoms out quit often. I don't want to lower the car and prefer a good ride over a car the corners like a car setup for a track.

I thinking it needs shocks and bump stops. Looking for help in deciding what needs to be replaced and with what?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: 2012 Miata Shocks and Springs

Post by Brian »

Factory shocks typically are shot at 40,000 miles and thereafter things like the bumpstops get pounded into little pieces. Both the shocks having no pressure remaining and the bumpstops getting pounded out of there result in more and more severe bottoming of rear suspension (eventually the rear sway bars are also smashing against the frame).

My suggestion is our KONI SPORT shocks, that's the top customer choice. Also see our non-adjustable KONI shocks. I prefer the adjustable because that puts YOU in control of balance front to rear and ride, you can dial them soft or firm. If rear suspension with loaded car is still bottoming because of two people in the car and the trunk is full for a weekend away then you can dial that rear shock a bit more firm with KONI SPORT and that will better keep it from hitting the bumpstops.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
DannyS959

Post by DannyS959 »

Thank you, Brian. I'm going to order the adjustable shocks and bump stops. For the ride quality I'm looking for and not wanting to "lower" the car stance which bump stops do you think would be better for what I'm looking for?
Ryan @ GWR

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

Brian is out of town at the moment, so best resource for quick replies will be our email.

For an NC that is not lowered and that will be using the adjustable Koni Sport shocks, which gives you some control over tightening that rear shock up a bit to resist compression over bumps when the car has two people and gear in it, I would suggest the 46mm "comfort" bumpstop set. The difference between that option and the other 58/75mm kit we offer that also says "comfort" is that the 46mm kit uses shorter bumpstops, and the benefit of the shorter stops is you have a bit more suspension travel available where the shock and spring can do their job before you hit the bumpstop.