2012 MX-5 Leaking rear axle seal.

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
DannyS959

2012 MX-5 Leaking rear axle seal.

Post by DannyS959 »

I'm planning on replacing the shocks, springs and bump stops on my 2012 MX-5 and while under the car yesterday I noticed the seal for the drives side axle to the differential is damp, so I need to address this when I'm replacing the shock and spring.

Is this a big job and, does a video exist for how to replace the seal?
DannyS959

Re: 2012 MX-5 Leaking rear axle seal.

Post by DannyS959 »

Am I the only one who has or is dealing with a leaking axle seal? :)
Greg @ GWR

Re: 2012 MX-5 Leaking rear axle seal.

Post by Greg @ GWR »

Sorry for the delayed reply.
Changing the seal itself is easy. The old seal should be easy to pop out, and you place the new one into the housing and lightly tap it into place, going around the edges to make sure it's flush. There isn't a lip or edge inside to opening to catch the seal, so be careful to not install it too deep.
The hard part is actually removing the axle. The rear suspension is multi-link, so the spindle/hub won't pivot enough to allow the axle to be pulled from the diff. The spindle/hub will need to be disconnected from all of the links. Then, with the spindle free and the axle still in the hub, you can pull the axle to get to the seal.
The Only Speed is Mazdaspeed