Suspension set up

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
ctompkins5

Suspension set up

Post by ctompkins5 »

Brian,

I have been doing some research and thinking about how I want to set up the suspension on my NC GT. I'm thinking now that a coilover is a overkill for me and little more than I want to commit to for maintenance reasons. That being said, my goal is to set the car down about 1.5 inches (so it sits about the height you have yours at in the pic with the RP03s) and to just slightly stiffen it up so it is not so floaty and doesn't roll so much in the corners (for autox fun), but is still comfortable for everyday driving. I know this is about compromise so what combination of springs and either the factory or replacement shocks would you recommend to acheive that. I was considering the H&R springs and the Koni shocks but got scared that you say the Koni's will also lower the car an extra amount beyond the springs.

I'm hoping to maybe make this purchase as soon as possible to get the ride height down befor I get my new Enkei's from you.

Thanks
Clayton
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Hi Clayton,

Those H&R springs will indeed get you to 1.5 inches under stock but the Koni shocks would make that a full 2 inches of lowering. Any day now we are due to get the Tokico Illuminas for this new platform and those will give you another option. We also have much less expensive coilover setups that are on the way. The Eibach kits should be here shortly and we have another coming as well. Yes, you are right about the fiddle factor with the coilovers being higher...but that's the tradeoff and in exchange you also get more assurance of getting exactly the lowering you want...and the ability to easily change your mind and later go higher or lower as experience dictates. Most of our suppliers are closed this holiday week but we should get news starting next week of some new options to consider...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ctompkins5

Post by ctompkins5 »

Brian,

Okay, I'll wait and see what some of the other options provide when they come in. Thanks.
RUKnight

Post by RUKnight »

I was just abou to ask this question! :D

Brian are the Tokico's the same shocks as Mazdaspeed is currently using? If so I bet those along with the Eibach pro-kit springs will be one hell of a bargain suspension for most of us...myself included
Mike
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, the Tokicos are sold as the MazdaSpeed units...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ctompkins5

Post by ctompkins5 »

The Tokico Illuminas look to be a nice set up from what information I can find on them. 5 position damper control. I guess we will see what the price point is and if they affect the ride height. I am interested in finding out about the other coilovers too. My main concern with a coilover set up is what is the reliability lifespan before a rebuild is required? Since this is my daily driver, I would have some difficulty having to send the whole unit back for a rebuild, and as I am not equipped to compress springs and the like I can't install and uninstall myself. On the other hand, having the ability to change the ride height at will and on my own is very tempting. Anyhow, just all stuff that is going through my head as I consider what road to take.
senda

Post by senda »

I saw that the Tokico are on sale now.

What is the difference between them to the mazdaspeed http://www.mazdastuff.com/product.cfm?ProductID=2563

It is look like the mazdaspeed are not multi-adjustment

i am thinking of baying a set ot the Tokico and MazdaSpeed/Eibach Pro-kit Springs insteed of waiting to Coilover

i am driving 35000 km in year. and compete in littel ax once a month (1 KM 6 times). so i do not know if the Coilover will be the best thing for me.
ctompkins5

Post by ctompkins5 »

Brian,

Are these new Tokicos in place of the Illumas you mentioned were coming? Are they not going to make the Illumas for the NC?