shock replacement question

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Pistolmiller

shock replacement question

Post by Pistolmiller »

OK so I was wondering if it is necessary to take off the 14mm nuts on the topside of the shock mount where to top shock nut is? I did not loosen them on one side and the shock and springs came out fine....did I miss something when I put in the new ones?
Pistolmiller
'02 LS Emerald Mica
Oklahoma City, OK
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Not sure what nut you are referring to...but see our directions on this under the "Technical FAQ" button from the top of any page of this website.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Pistolmiller

Post by Pistolmiller »

I am refering to the two 14mm nuts that are accesses from the engine bay on either side of the top shock nut. I have noticed in some descriptions that these need to be loosened and in others it does not mention them.

They are refered to the "outer shock nuts" on #3 on the above described area in your tech support section.

Is this just for "clearance issues" as far as getting the old shocks and springs?
Pistolmiller
'02 LS Emerald Mica
Oklahoma City, OK
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Those nuts connect the top of the shock and spring assembly to the car...you can't get the shocks and springs out without taking those nuts off.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
mpheinitz

Post by mpheinitz »

You can remove the shocks without removing the 14mm nuts. Not recommended, but it is possible.

Put a jack under the lower control arm to compress spring and loosen the top shock nut. Sloooowly lower the jack to relieve spring pressure. Remove shock and spring.

LOL

-Mike
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Mike is right, I should have said you can't pull the complete assembly without taking out those two nuts because those two nuts are connecting the top mount to the car...but as Mike notes, you can pull the shock from the spring/shock assembly and effectively use the jack as your spring compressor but I will underline Mike's NOT RECOMMENDED conclusion.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Pistolmiller

Post by Pistolmiller »

Yes,tht is what wantedto know...I used a spring compressor so loosening these nut was not necessary.... thanks
Pistolmiller
'02 LS Emerald Mica
Oklahoma City, OK