Racing Beat Air Intake Week 1

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Roadstar06

Post by Roadstar06 »

Very informative, Thanks Captain!
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Roadstar06 wrote:Very informative, Thanks Captain!
You are welcome. If you are interested in the RS Duals and midpipe, let me know as I think I am going to sell mine and get the Borla.
[b]Kirk "The Captain"[/b] [url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2537823]My 2006 MX-5 GT[/url]
Roadstar06

Post by Roadstar06 »

I wonder if there's any differences if we:

1) just remove the stock airbox itself and replace it with a universal K&N cone filter

or

2) replace the whole stock intake with a after-market short-ram intake with K&N filter

(performance-wise and sound-wise)

:D
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

So far, our early dyno work with various intake combos suggests that the NC needs some intake length for max power. In other words, going real short and just putting the filter under the hood after the air mass sensor did not work out well in our tests. Friends at Racing Beat tell me they got the same results.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Roadstar06

Post by Roadstar06 »

Brian wrote:So far, our early dyno work with various intake combos suggests that the NC needs some intake length for max power. In other words, going real short and just putting the filter under the hood after the air mass sensor did not work out well in our tests. Friends at Racing Beat tell me they got the same results.
Thanks Brian.. :D

Is it fair to say that:

1) "Removing the stock air box and putting a filter after the air mass sensor" should at least have the same performance as "using the stock air-box" if not worse?

2) At least the sound is better
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Result of sticking on filter after air mass sensor was performance was worse overall....some high rpm hp gain but with loss of torque down lower. Thus, I can't recommend it.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com