Codicil to RaceSport Exhaust Install

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
hhowey

Codicil to RaceSport Exhaust Install

Post by hhowey »

1. The new connection nuts/bolts are 18mm.

2. I cheated on the hangers. The thin ones come off REAL easy. The double-wides were too hard, so I cut them off, needing only two (narrow) hangers for the new muffler.

3. It's already very satisfying with the insert. I don't know if I'll be able to stand the truly open pipe without it.
Skip Howey
hhowey

Post by hhowey »

I forgot to mention that the box the new muffler comes in is (on its side) perfect for holding up the old muffler during its removal;-)
Skip Howey
hhowey

Minor note

Post by hhowey »

Actually, the new bolt is 16MM and the new nut is 18MM. A LONG 18MM bit is nice but not absolutely necessary.
Skip Howey
hhowey

New info

Post by hhowey »

I just got back from a spin over some back roads here above Houston.

Lots of motorcycles were out, and ALL of the Harleys were a lot louder than the MX-5.

I did find out that the bolt holding the glasspack is 13 MM.

The short of it is that fully open, there is hardly any REAL increase in DB. I hope Brian will be kind to me, but the $30 for the glasspack is unnecessary. In fact, almost every diesel pickup I've heard is a LOT louder;-)

BTW, mileage was 30+ MPG.

ANother small note: I'm a music professor, and I listen mainly to Renaisssance music. With the top down at 80 MPH, all is well;-)
Skip Howey