Upgrades to the MX5

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
CalgaryMX5

Upgrades to the MX5

Post by CalgaryMX5 »

There's been some discussions about exhaust upgrades and intake upgrades etc for the NC. Also, there has been some limited discussions on forced induction. It seems like there isn't a blower or turbo currently available, but would anyone know if there is something on the way? (It seems like there are a couple that may be available eventually, but it doesn't seem like any one company is giving any specific progress details.)
I would prefer to upgrade the intake(blower hopefully), exhaust, and engine management as a balanced package where the components are well suited for one another.

So my main question is this: Are there there any upgrades that I could do for power and torque, that I won't be removing, if later on I decide to install a blower.

Also, my NC is 100% for the street right now. Is there a general suspension upgrade recommended for street driving that would provide noticable differences yet still still maintain a decent ride?

One more question, is anyone running synthetic oil in their motor. I've read the science, (from the manufacturers), and I'm trying it on an older car of mine as a test. I'm just curious as to whether any one here has any "synthetic" experience. Any feedback would be great.

Cheers
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I run Mobil 1 synthetic in mine...

For a suspension that is easy for the street, the Eibach sways and springs are the choice for mild ride yet a very effective upgrade to the factory setup.

I know of four supercharger kits in the works but none ready for primetime yet. So, don't add an intake because you will be removing that later but you are free to do a bolt on exhaust.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
EvoStevo

Post by EvoStevo »

Brian, have you received any positive feedback regarding the Eibach Pro Street-S coilovers yet?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, but only a few customers using them at this point...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

There are plenty of positive reviews of the Eibach Pro Kit on the miataforum, including my comments. I would have purchased them just for the looks alone as the stock wheel gap is not very appealing. Fortunately the handling was improved as well. It does not have as much lean yet is not really any more harsh and it has a lot less dive under heavy braking.
[b]Kirk "The Captain"[/b] [url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2537823]My 2006 MX-5 GT[/url]
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I know the Captain knows the difference but just so that future customers are not confused, the Captain is talking about the popular Eibach spring kit, not the coilover kit which is also discussed above. Still not many users of the coilover kit here or anywhere.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Dr.Goodwrench

AWR ignition set up for MX-5 Cup cars

Post by Dr.Goodwrench »

AWR has a customized Nology Hotwire set-up for these cars. We run them in the enduros to improve mileage per tank load, and I have notice an improved throttle response. They claim an increase in HP and Torque, especially for a forced induction system. Probably not a bad investment if you are going to add some boost to safeguard against spark blow out.
Se them at www.awrracing.com
DaveG

Looks like the previous post is spam

Post by DaveG »

As far as FI, the boards at www.miata.net indicate these are in the works:
Superchargers:
Roots: MP62 coldside, goal 225-230 WHP. Due: late '07. This kit will likely be a great value compared to the competition and well engineered.
Centrifugal: A simple, low output, turbo-like 180-200 WHP, Due: Sometime later this year. Cheap, easy to install, low output, but you'll need to get the RPM up to reap the benefits.
Twin Screw: A high dollar, high output, torquey unit for about a 70% power increase: within a few months. This is the big daddy, with big safegaurds and a big price tag.

Turbos will come later.