NC Limited: Cusco 1.5-way LSD & Shorter Final Gear Ratio

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
miataman

NC Limited: Cusco 1.5-way LSD & Shorter Final Gear Ratio

Post by miataman »

The past weekend I installed a brand new Cusco 1.5-way LSD and a 4.10 final gear ratio on my NC Limited.

In Europe, the 6-speed NCs get a 3.73:1 final gear ratio, so I now have a final drive app. 10% shorter than stock.
And it makes a huge difference in the car's feel!
I was also amazed to see that the speedo still works properly, whereas I was expecting it to require a new VSS sensor.
Apparently the speedo reads the speed via the DSC sensors or something.

I used a final gear ratio from an NAFL ('94-98 models) and with a little work it fitted fine.
The backslash was adjusted to spec and the is absolutely no whinning or any other noise coming from the ring and pinion.

Having upgraded from the stock tochi-fuji LSD (which is NOT a torsen, but it is a torque sensing LSD), the difference is enormous!
The car feels much more eager to drift or grip depending on the throttle inputs.
The diff being 1.5-way does create a little corner-entry understeer, but it can be easily handled simply by more aggresive driving.
Tein SS coilovers w/ upper mounts & EDFC, RX-8 sway bars
Carbotech Panther Plus pads, Goodridge stainless steel hoses
Mazdaspeed CAI, DC Sports Race header, custom cat-back (single)
Toyo R888 (205/40/17)