Technical question on NC exhaust.

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
v67gsr

Technical question on NC exhaust.

Post by v67gsr »

Brian

I got a technical question.

I am running with club race exhaust now. As you may know the exhaust outlet is under the trunk, pointing downward. It is loud for sure. In fact very loud to most of us. To be honest, I love this exhaust. It has all the spec I want (100% straight through, no resonator, good pipe size).

I was wondering if repositioning the exhaust outlet will change the interior volume? I suspect the massive droning is cause by the position of the outlet. IMO, much of the sound wave that supposes to shoot backward end up bounce back from the road to the trunk area. Not sure if this theory is right or not. So I was thinking if I reposition the outlet, it may help to lower the droning.

Any feed back will be appreciated.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

yes, changing where the outlet is will have BIG effect.

I worked with Racing Beat on their Race single for the RX8. I loved the prototype they gave me to try. I had to send it back to them so they could make the jig for the final and they decided to change it so the tip exited UNDER the car. Their reason was to avoid issues with sound meters at tracks like Laguna Seca. They sent me the final and I was SHOCKED at the difference this made inside the car. It was suddenly MUCH LOUDER as the sound resonated off the ground and back up into the car. Exiting out the rear would make it much quieter....
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
v67gsr

Post by v67gsr »

Brian wrote:yes, changing where the outlet is will have BIG effect.

I worked with Racing Beat on their Race single for the RX8. I loved the prototype they gave me to try. I had to send it back to them so they could make the jig for the final and they decided to change it so the tip exited UNDER the car. Their reason was to avoid issues with sound meters at tracks like Laguna Seca. They sent me the final and I was SHOCKED at the difference this made inside the car. It was suddenly MUCH LOUDER as the sound resonated off the ground and back up into the car. Exiting out the rear would make it much quieter....
I am happy to hear you say "SHOCKED" and "MUCH LOUDER" regarding the tip position. I'm pretty sure Mazdaspeed did that in purpose to comply with sound limit like you've said.

Now I can just cut and weld a new outlet onto my club race one and make it easier for my passenger.

Thanks once again.