Question about Koni Shocks.

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
blizzardmx-5

Question about Koni Shocks.

Post by blizzardmx-5 »

Hi, I just installed a set of Konis with stock springs.
My question is how come one side of my front camber can't get more negative than -0.7? (other side can reach -1.0)
I did lower more caster to try and get camber, but it didn't work.
I ended up cranking up caster to 6.6 and stayed with my -0.7 camber. Is this a right move?
2006 Mazda MX-5 Sport (Winning Blue Mica)
Class: CSP (Ohlins DFV-Revalved, Swift Springs, RX-8 Front Stabilizer Bar, RS Full Exhaust System, AWR Rollbar, Autopower 6-point Harness, Sniper Tuned)
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Did you let it settle before doing the alignment? The car may take a few days to settle to final height if you just did the install.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
blizzardmx-5

Post by blizzardmx-5 »

thx, now i m trying to drive as much as i can (don't usually drive much) to let the shocks settle. will do another alighnment later.
But i have one more question..... maybe two...
Do u think it is ok to drill a hole on the strut bar so I can access the front adjustable knobs? Or do u think there is no need because I will rarely touch that knob?
I would like to avoid drilling...
but if I were to drill it... I want to keep it as clean as possible.
Class: CSP (Ohlins DFV-Revalved, Swift Springs, RX-8 Front Stabilizer Bar, RS Full Exhaust System, AWR Rollbar, Autopower 6-point Harness, Sniper Tuned)
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, okay to make the hole to get the knob on....folks do that regularly.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
rpmchris

Post by rpmchris »

Or just get the MS FSTB, which is open! :D
'06 MX-5 Sport 6-speed
Autocross junkie!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Actually, the MazdaSpeed Front Shock Tower brace is NOT open on both sides. It has a major design flaw in this respect. It is open on the passenger side but on the driver's side the design blocks most adjustment knobs....so much so that you can't even install it with most adjustable coilovers and shocks. Given that many of the folks that would buy that brace are the same type who would consider adjustable shocks and coilovers....that's a pretty major design goof.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
blizzardmx-5

Post by blizzardmx-5 »

Also I beleive that replacing front tower bar is not legal for stock class as well.
sloopercat

Post by sloopercat »

The Mazdaspeed Tower Bar only needed about 6 swipes with a round file to give clearance for the JIC adjust knobs.
Mark Hirt

Post by Mark Hirt »

Brian wrote:Yes, okay to make the hole to get the knob on....folks do that regularly.
It is NOT legal, repeat NOT legal to put holes in the tower bar.

From the July 2006 Fastrack
2) Stock: The current rules (1b 3.5.F) do not allow for the addition of an access hole in either the exterior bodywork or strut bar to facilitate shock absorber adjustments. Such holes may only be added through interior panels. (ref. 06-123 and 06-022)
[url=http://home.comcast.net/~mark.hirt/]Mark Hirt[/url]
2007 MX-5 MS-R / Dalan Hitch / Koni DA's / RoadsterSport RACE Muffler
Bowman Race Kart - [url=http://www.chicagoindoorracing.com/]rented[/url]
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Mark is right and making a good point about stock class rules....I was answering the question in terms of whether or not it hurt the functionality of the bar...which it does not.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com