Need help with streetable SM2 buildup (NB)

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
jrmotorsports55

Need help with streetable SM2 buildup (NB)

Post by jrmotorsports55 »

I have a 99 Miata that I am planning on building up and running in SM2. I am planning on installing a Fast Forward coldside kit, as well as some exhaust parts. My big questions are on the suspension/brakes/wheels/tires. The car has to remain streetable, as it is driven quite a bit (with my wife in it), so it can't be a filling-popper.

For the brakes, I am planning on running stock rotors/lines, with hawk hps front pads and hawk hp+ pads in the rear. From what I can tell, this is a pretty well balanced set-up.

For the wheels/tires, I am getting a used set of Rota slip streams (15x6.5) that have some used victoracers for a pretty good price to use for now, but might upgrade down the road. I will probably end up running V710s once the victoracers are dead. My big question is on size, how wide should I go. For 15s, my options are 205/40 or 225/40, and I don't know if the 225s will work well on 6.5" wheels. Should I just go with wider wheels down the road?

For the suspension, this is the big grey area, as I want it to be compliant enough for street use, but decent on the course (doesn't have to be national level, but competitive). I was thinking of ground controls and konis, and work from there. I have also heard that H&R has quite a few options. Not sure on the rest.

I appreceiate any feedback/pointers, as I am fairly new to the Miata, and am trying to learn what works and what doesn't.

Thanks,

Jason
Jason R Koch

99 Vette: Fast toy

96 Miata: 99 engine, and other upgrades

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom: 4.7 HO V8, Magnaflow muffler, K&N filter
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The problem with "streetable" is that everybody has a different opinion on what that means and I suspect your wife just may not agree with your definition. I have customers running 700 pound front springs telling me the setup is entirely streetable and other guys telling me their 375 pound front spring is just too rough for the street....both sets of customers on Koni shocks. Thus, much of this depends on you and how sporting your gal is about the ride. To maximize ride quality consider a big brake kit because it will save 5 pounds off the front corners and go along way toward compensating for the higher rate springs you pick. I suggest the standard GC kit rates of 375/250 on the Koni sport as a starting setup that has a chance of not offending the wife.

Sorry, being competitive even locally in SM2 with a 6.5 inch wide rim is not going to happen. Standard SM2 setup is 8 inches and that is quickly evolving beyond as the new Hooser 275/35/15 makes the scene. I would say absolute minimum is 15x7 with 225/45/15 which might be okay on the local level if you have almost no competition.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jrmotorsports55

Thanks for the response. I think I'll be bailing on the 6.5" rims. and looking to something wider. As for the springs, I was leaning towards teh GC setup, so at least I had that right.

Thanks.
Jason R Koch

jrmotorsports55

I have been looking in to tire combos, and what about running something like a Team dynamics 14x7 rim (38mm offset) with V710 225/50-14s? I am trying to avoid clearance issues (rolling fenders),a nd from what I have read, I might have those issues with 225/50-15 V710s on 15x8. The 14s would be a lb lighter on each tire, plus the rims are under 12 lbs ea.

Thanks.
Jason R Koch

Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The 225/50/14 will fit on 14x7....see our Team dynamics wheels in that fitment. Many ITA guys run similar.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jrmotorsports55

It seems like the 14" would be as good as the 15x7, it not better due to weght.

Thanks.
Jason R Koch

Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Well, yes and no. Good on weight. But higher sidewall flex...less sharp turn-in, less responsive in quick transitions, etc.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
jrmotorsports55

I see. Thanks for the input, I'll keep looking around at options before deciding.
Jason R Koch

jrmotorsports55

Will the fenders need rolling with the 14x7s (38mm offset) with 225/50-14 tires?

Thanks.
Jason R Koch

Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

You are pretty safe with a 38mm offset.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com