Greg's MSM: Speedy McSpeedface

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.

Re: Greg's MSM: Speedy McSpeedface

Postby Greg @ GWR » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:31 pm

Who says it never rains in Southern California? After a heavy rain our shipping guru CJ took this cool shot of Speedy reflecting in puddle of fresh rainwater.

This is a teaser shot.
Speedy McSpeedface is undergoing some updates before The Miata Reunion at Laguna Seca this year, OCT 11-13 2019. Info about the updates will be coming...

Come see us at the Goodwin Racing garage
Attachments
IMG_1308cropped&resized.jpg
Speedy is reflecting...
The Only Speed is Mazdaspeed
Greg @ GWR

Postby Greg @ GWR » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:46 am

Updates for Speedy McSpeedface:
The MSM has been getting some updates before the Miata Reunion event at Laguna Seca in October:
A whole new suspension set up.
New wheels and tires for the track/autocross.
New exhaust.
Relocating water temp sensor after installing new CSF radiator.

I've been working over the last month to get things installed and worked out.
Attachments
Parts display cropped.jpg
New parts for Speedy
Greg @ GWR

Postby Greg @ GWR » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:05 pm

One of the updates was installing the SuperPro differential mount bushing inserts. If you do not have access to a press to push out the old bushings and install new ones then you can use these. You never have to remove the diff bushing from the diff. The inserts are placed around the existing diff mounts to stiffen them up. The small ring-shaped inserts sit in the groove on top of the diff bushing, while the bigger, flat-topped insert fits into the bottom of the bushing.
To do the install you need to do a couple of things.
Since I was doing all the bushings, I removed the control arms. I also lowered the exhaust, but did not completely remove it. If you are only doing diff inserts, then I would recommend removing the midpipe, so when you lower the diff the axles will have enough clearance to drop the diff down far enough to slip the O-shaped insert onto the top of the diff bushing. If you do not remove the exhaust then the axle will contact the exhaust and not lower enough to install the top inserts.
Attachments
rear well bare.jpg
Where's the suspension?
diff inserts.jpg
SuperPro Diff Inserts. Packaging and instructions. Note the two smaller rings at the bottom. These are what go on the top of the diff bushings. Lube well.
20190824_192807.jpg
Mounts and inserts
upper diff inserts.jpg
Mounts with inserts in place
diff insert install.jpg
Reinstall mounts with the inserts
Greg @ GWR

Postby Greg @ GWR » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:35 pm

More fun with SuperPro!
I installed the SuperPro NB Miata Full Suspension Bushing Kit, offset version. SuperPro bushings "are made using a proprietary engineering grade polyurethane formula with unique material properties", "boasting the best characteristics of both rubber and plastic."
They do feel different from the polyurethane bushings other manufacturers make. They feel a little softer, spongier than the hard polyurethane bushings.
The upper rear control arm bushings are two-piece for easy installation, just like other polyurethane bushing kits. However, all the other bushings are one piece, making for a more labor intensive installation. You do need a press, and you do need skill to get these 1pc units into the control arms. You can lube them liberally, the kit comes with several lube packets. I had lube dripping out of everything, had it all over everything and myself, and still had a packet left over. The bushings each bushing has 4 grooves to retain lube, and the inside is cross-hatched to also retain lube around the sleeve. There are no real instructions, unlike the diff insert kit which does.

I was surprised by the ride after I had installed them. I expected the ride to be very firm. I had read where most people putting in polyurethane bushings end up taking them out. I won't be removing these. These SuperPro bushings are firmer than the OEM ones with 120k on them, but they aren't harsh. They make the chassis firm like it should be, but not buckboard hard. They feel great, and work well with the new FEALS I have installed.
Attachments
old bushings.jpg
The old bushings. Actully in decent shape after 120k miles. Has lived in SoCal for last 8 yrs and 97k.
dirty control arms.jpg
Dirty control arms, with a little bit of rust. Replaced front upper control arms with new ones that had new ball joints installed.
painted arms.jpg
Cleaned and painted the control arms to control rust.
new bushings.jpg
All new SuperPro bushings
New bushings on table.jpg
All the bushings on the table. Note all the lube packets.
bushing into arm.jpg
Rear upper bushings just push in
rear upper control arm bushings.jpg
Rear upper bushings with sleeve going into it.
bushing groove.jpg
One piece bushing with groove for lubricant. Each bushing has 4 grooves to retain lube, and the inside is cross-hatched to also retain lube around the sleeve.
completed bushing install.jpg
Installed bushing
Greg @ GWR

Postby Greg @ GWR » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:43 pm

Can you FEAL the Fun?!?!
For quite some time I have wanted to replace the control arm bushings. I had also wanted to upgrade my coilovers, so when I finally got some new coilovers I swapped everything at once.
I had the Feal 441 street performance set up on Speedy. I installed them before I ever worked at Goodwin Racing, but since I was at Rocky's Miatomotive I knew Brian and crew well. This relationship allowed me to obtain stiffer 10kg/7kg springs, more the the standard 8kg/5kg. This setup was not only a fantastic street-setup, it was also track competent. The only downside is the shocks were still valved for the original 8kg/5kg springs.
I upgraded to the GWR Spec Feal 441+ Roadrace Coilovers. We carry these at a very good price point because we asked for a change in the 441+ as Feal sells them. We have Feal take of the most costly Swift springs and have Feal use their own springs fo a lower cost. Then we limit the spring choice and valving to one selection, 12kg/8kg, this way Feal can build them in a batch for less per shock. We buy them in batches, which saves us cost, which we can pass to our customers. They are the best bang for the buck.
So far, daily driving them on the street has been a treat. I thought the spring rates would harshen the ride, but no. I guess having been on 10kg/7kg springs for so long it wasn't much of a jump, or at least it hasn't felt that way. Now, I've had a long autocross day on them and they performed fantastic. It was a long fast course that had bumps, dips, and potholes to contend with, and they worked great. Can't wait for three days at Laguna Seca to put them to the test.
Attachments
old 441 Feals.jpg
The 441 Feals I removed. They are the street performance versions, but I had 10kg/7kg Swift springs on them. Dirty now, but will clean up nice. There is only around 25k miles on them.
Feals - fresh.jpg
Fresh Feals!
Feal pivot top front.jpg
A closer look at the front shock and the spherical bearing mount.
Feals front.jpg
Front Feal in place.
Feal rear.jpg
The rear Feal partially installed, showing the extended top hat.
Greg @ GWR

Previous

Return to Mazda Miata and Fiat 124