LFX Engine Swap (GM V6) at GWR

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.

Re: LFX Engine Swap (GM V6) at GWR

Postby MitchC635 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:36 pm

Congratulations Ryan and Brian! Beautiful work on adding the supercharger.

Eagerly anticipating the racing season and some video
MitchC635

Postby Ryan @ GWR » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:37 pm

Laguna Seca flew by! We had an amazing weekend, filled with meeting lots and lots of fellow enthusiasts.

But what about the HyperMiata? On Friday we set out to take a crack at the Miata lap record. I had just got some heat in the tires with one warmup lap and did a single flyer and saw a 1:35.25 light up on the display. That's a new record! Going into turn 2 on the next lap the clutch failed. Man, I was just getting warmed up! There was definitely more in it. But in true Time Attack fashion, I didn't know it but I had just the one lap to get it done and I did. Will have to go back some time and drill that record down further ;)

The rest of the weekend the car sat proudly on display in front of our garage:

Had a great time giving rides in the Budget NC Saturday and Sunday. It's not neck-snapping like the HyperMiata but it extracted a lot of passenger "Wow"s and "Holy Crap"s as we chucked it through corners and dove deep into braking zones. This car is a riot, it shouldn't be possible to build such a fun and capable car for so little.

By the end of the weekend I was aching to get back in Hyper and get just one more lap in. After so many laps that weekend I felt so much more 'up to speed' on the track than I had when I did those first couple laps Friday morning. Aaargh! Ah well, gotta have things to look forward to!
Ryan @ GWR

Postby Ryan @ GWR » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:34 pm

Pretty stoked to be cruising SEMA, come around the corner and see the HyperMiata on Stoptech's wall! We were on the wall, on their TV, full centerfold in their brochures, and at the top of all their application guides for race kits getting handed out at the event. Much love. Very flattered.

Ryan @ GWR

Postby Ryan @ GWR » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:17 pm

GTA Finals 2019 @ Buttonwillow (Formerly Superlap Battle) is less than a week away! Nov 16-17

Currently buttoning up the car and thrashing on those spreadsheets to make sure nothing is forgotten. There's several Miata/MX5 entries on the sheets this year:

Pro/Comp
Ryan Raduechel    Raduechel Performance Motorsports    Mazda Miata    #89 

Unlimited
Ryan Helmuth    Sancon Racing    Mazda Miata    #126 
Gary Drew    Sancon Racing    Mazda Miata    #510

Limited
Tarek Latouf    All Automotive | GG Racing    Mazda Miata SC    #241
Ryan Passey    Goodwin Racing    Mazda Miata LFX    #13
Daniel Tran    All Automotive    Mazda Miata    #45  
Ulrik Szirka    UMS Racing    Mazda Miata    #29

Street
Milo Eurocompulsion Fiat Abarth 124 Spider #32

Enthusiast
Bret Nicoletti    Rooney Speed    Mazda Miata MX5 (NC)    #10

This year will be the most difficult yet. Classes are no longer separated by drivetrains, so just as at Superlap Battle USA at COTA earlier this year we are up against everything, not just RWD. Limited class has 28 entries as of today.

On a personal note, I've put a lot of work into the car this year to hopefully make another step forward. Feeling a lot of pressure and nervous excitement to lay it down and see that work deliver in the lap times. Everyone knows by now that the HyperMiata is now supercharged via a custom Rotrex setup. More power is good but doesn't guarantee anything. With it comes more hurdles to overcome, a bit more weight, longer braking zones, lower min speeds, etc. so it's hopefully a matter of 1 step back and 2 steps forward. Moti (Blackbird Fabworx) has been closely involved as we refine the aero and keep making adjustments and improvements.

We've been testing and refining:

Coming off just setting a new Miata lap record at Laguna Seca but losing the clutch a couple laps in, a new clutch is in and if it holds together we should be running fast.

The big looming goal for us going into this event is the one I set back when the car was reborn with the LFX; to set a new Limited Rear Wheel Drive record at Buttonwillow 13CW. The current record stands at 1:44.456 by the very dialed and fast C6 shown below, and it's a bit of an anomaly; it was set in the final year that the Limited class rules were more open (stickier tires and flat bottoms were allowed back then), and back when it was set it was over 3 seconds faster than anyone had ever gone before, and and nobody has ran anywhere close to it since then. After the rule change to slow the Limited class down, we've been sort of leading the pack at drilling the times back down towards that record, and we're now the second fastest Limited class car to ever lap Buttonwillow 13CW behind just this Corvette, but as of last year with a PB of 1:46.8 we're still a ways off.

To put that lap time into some perspective, the Miata lap record is 1:44.8, held by Supermiata / 949 Racing with Vegas (pictured below) with Emilio behind the wheel in the Unlimited class on Hoosiers. So we need to be on pace to beat the fastest Unlimited Miata that's ever run there... but do it with street tires from a class down.

Can we do it? There's just one way to find out.
Ryan @ GWR

Previous

Return to Mazda Miata and Fiat 124