NC stock shock dyno

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

NC stock shock dyno

Post by Brian »

Here is the stock shock...will have the Bilsteins in another week or so.

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
tcl

Post by tcl »

The Bilsteins that come with the sport suspension package or some new aftermarket Bilsteins?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

tcl wrote:The Bilsteins that come with the sport suspension package or some new aftermarket Bilsteins?
Stock bilsteins
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
GT Veloce

Post by GT Veloce »

Ok. I'll go first.
What does this tell me?
I'm not familar with shock dyno charts but there is valuable information here no doubt. Help me understand what I'm looking at.
How does this info relate to spring rates?
GeorgeH

Post by GeorgeH »

Interesting. Compared to the Illuminas I used to run on my NA, rebound at 3 in/s is about the same as the Illuminas at one click above full soft. The Illuminas have a bit more compression damping as well, but that's consistent with them running a little harsher. Illuminas at full stiff have over 2x the rebound damping of the OEM NC units.

Not that a NA damper can be directly compared to a NC. Just wanted to show some numbers. But, it's clear there is plenty of opportunity for aftermarket units to deliver more rebound damping, which should benefit handling even with OEM springs.
'94 Miata, BR Coldside Supercharged SM2 plaything
'04 RX-8 sport, daily driver plaything
tcl

Post by tcl »

GeorgeH wrote:.... But, it's clear there is plenty of opportunity for aftermarket units to deliver more rebound damping, which should benefit handling even with OEM springs.
I have the NC standard suspension and notice some extra bounces after hitting a hard bump. Still debating whether aftermarket shocks are enough or whether the springs also need to replaced. I'm also looking for improved turn in response. I guess stiffer sway bars and better shocks might be an alternative to shocks and springs. Still trying to figure out the puzzle without spending a lot of money on failed experiments.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Here is the updated shock dyno showing the sports suspension. Interestingly, the sport Bilstein rear shocks are actually LONGER than the regular factory shocks by near 20mm...very strange.

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Rattus

Post by Rattus »

Am I reading that new graph wrong? It would appear that the Bilsteins are significantly softer than the stock shocks. Seems odd.

Martyn
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Nope, you read it right...a real interesting twist that the "sport" suspension is softer.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
tcl

Post by tcl »

Brian wrote:Nope, you read it right...a real interesting twist that the "sport" suspension is softer.
I just gambled and picked up a set of the Mazdaspeed gas shocks to replace the stock shocks on the Touring model and compliment the Mazdaspeed springs. They are made by Tokico and advertised as having greater damping. Hope to have them installed late next week. I was debating whether to get the Bilsteins, but judging by this graph, I wouldn't notice much difference between the Bilsteins and the stock Touring model shocks.